1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting Spector Sound - I have soapbars.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jarrhead, May 12, 2010.

1. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Hey guys,

A friend of mine who plays guitar and I set a goal to learn BTBAM's entire "Colors" album by August. It will be no easy task.

So anyhow I'd like to know how to get a nice sound like Dan's from my bass/amp.

I have a Lakland 55-01 with an Aguilar OBP-3 Pre. It has Bartolini mk1 Soapbar pickups on it.

I use a Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II and a GK Neo 212. I also have a GK Neo 112 that I can add or use in place of the 212 if needed.

I've tried and can get close by my high notes always come out sharp, and Dan Briggs' notes are still thick and round way up the fretboard.

Here is an example of his "thick" upper fretboard sound - off the Colors Album Live DVD

2. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I wish you luck with those songs lol. I've listened to them for a while now and I havn't even tried their songs because I know if I do, I'll go insane.

3. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    I've already learned Foam Born A and Prequel (Though going to relearn prequel as Dan does a totally different positioning, as I see here right in the official songbook.) I've also learned half of Decade

I am learning viridian as we speak.

4. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Back on this note you should buy the songbook, written by Dan himself. The notation is dead on, the ONLY errors in this book are where he forgot to write down when he changed some of the time signatures. No biggie.

It's really really fun to play and never gets old. Did I mention i've watched the Colors DVD 60 times?

5. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    Cut the highs a bit and add a some high mids. On your bass you may want to pan more towards the neck pick up. On a note relating to the band, I'm actually seeing them on Friday with Mastodon and Barroness.

6. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Ah, I cut a good deal of hi-mids!

I may be seeing them on July 15th by themselves, in a big theater.

Means cheaper tickets and awesome sound! And maybe seats. :p

7. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    I'm going to be seeing them a medium sized venue, but there'll still be ample room to mosh in there. Should be a great concert. Good luck learning the songs.

8. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Lol thanks.

Viridian is more difficult since I have a bulky CTS brace on my left wrist and only 22 frets!

So anybody got any idea on the sound? ;D

9. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    Jezzzz lol, maybe I'll buy that songbook. I've been focusing as August Burns Red and As Blood Runs Black songs right now. But after I grow tired of them i'll try some BTBAM. I have a Schecter Stilleto Elite 4 so I should be able to get a similar tone to BTBAM. I don't understand why he doesn't play a higher end spector though lol.

10. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    Viridian reminds me of Pouring Reign by ABRB. Listen to it, you'll like it,

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Spectors with EMGs are very mid heavy. You have a 3 way pre right? I'd start by boosting the mids all the way and go from there. If that isn't aggressive enough for you, boost the highs and lows as well. Adjust to taste.

12. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    I boosted the hi-mids a whoel 6 hours on my 700, getting much closer to the sound. Still don't have that "thickness" maybe cause I had light strings. I actually have to get my BRIDGE filed.. made of steel.. so I can fit the B string in! Won't be playing again until monday.

13. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Very cool clip. If the singer could sing and didn't scream, I would probably buy this.:meh: Serious vintage-DT vibe, which I dig.

I own a US neck-through Spector 6 and it sounds completely different than his. My top end is much more crystalline. It doesn't have the round, fatness that he does. In general, I get a crunchier more aggressive tone that is more typical of Spector. I favor a mix between bridge and neck p/u and have low mid's boosted quite a bit...so don't do that.

You shouldn't have any real problem getting his sound. Sounds to me like he is favoring the neck pickup and rolling off a lot of the highs that tend to make your sound more brittle. Not a lot of mid's in his sound if you ask me which might be a product of the neck pickup being soloed and some equing. I don't know, it's tough to figure these things out but that is my best advice.

14. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I was talking on the bass itself.

15. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Every time I look he's playing over the bridge.

Here's some more isolated sound.

16. dystopiate

dystopiate

Feb 21, 2008
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    I'm not terribly familiar with 55-01, but I do know the OBP-3 and the Bart MK pickups. I would say that there's not a ton of knob twiddling you need. I will say that I disagree about cutting highs here. Maybe a slight boost in the lows and mids.

I would say that that "thick" tone is a matter of three things. I've put them down in order of importance:

1) Very light touch in both hands, which means you may need some compression if you tend to dig in during other sections.

2) Setup. If your action is too low and you're getting some upper-fret buzz when playing acoustically, it's harder to get that tone. This also relates to the light touch. The lighter the touch, the lower the action can be.

3) Strings. I like a nickel/steel hybrid for that tone, but I also think that different strings sound better on different basses, so you may have to experiment.

17. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    1.) I've been working on that. ;)

2.) yeah, a tech screwed me over all the upper frets are demolished. Getting it fixed and will have the bass back monday

3.) I don't have my bass back yet simply cause my Lakland will not hold a .142B - I got D'Addario Nickel Wound XLs in singles with .10-.15 points higher on each string.

18. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    No, by neck pickup I mean it sounds like he is rolling the knob to solo or strongly favor the neck pickup electronically. That will help give you that fat, sweet sound you are looking for. He may only be doing that on specific parts.

I listened to the youtube link with the bass isolated...I don't know. It sounds nothing like a Spector to me. At least the traditional sound I have come to recognize. He could be playing with a completely different preamp, studio magic, EQing, or it may not even be a Spector. Guys don't always play their stage/endorser basses when they record. There are so many variables. Regardless if you really want to nail that tone I'm sure you will figure it out. Except for having his fingers and attack. That's a bit more tricky.

Also keep in mind you are comparing live and studio recordings which are different animals.

19. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Ahh well I also can't validate 100% that this is actually the studio track. Still good enough for me though.

The Spector USA he has is the same bass since he was 16. In all the studio footage he is playing the exact bass.

I was originally comparing a live tone in the thread I think. Here's an idea of the DVD we will be playing along with.

Sound any closer?

I'll probably figure it out with a bunch of moving knobs - i'm getting really good with this amp. Just looking for headstarts or things I may miss - I would have never guessed Hi-Mids! :oops:

This is really the only bassist I've listened to for a few months. :p