1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting Started on Cheap, Home Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Crazyfist, May 19, 2012.

1. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Ok, here's the situation:

I'm just about to start college (in England, I don't know if that means the same thing in America or whatever) and they will have ProTools and Mac computers and everything.
    My dilemma is that I am literally earning no money at all, and so I am very restricted to the world of recording equipment.

But that's the thing; I am looking to just simply draft ideas, I'm not really interested in making an entire track because I can do that at my college!

I'm not a very technical person at all. I've tried things like FL Studio, but I really don't have the concentration for it. Obviously I'll learn how to use ProTools, but at home it's just not worth the time.

What do you guys suggest? Should I just try to get some money together, or is there a better alternative?

Many thanks!

2. Alrod

Alrod

Apr 7, 2012
    What is your budget, and what instrument(s) will you be recording?

3. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Well, I wasn't really looking to pay for anything because I just want to draft a bassline or two, nothing too serious or costly!

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-pod-studio-gx-with-pod-farm

Very straightforward, easy to use, and has a lot of models and stuff to stoke your creativity in your off time. There are plenty of recording programs that are free that will allow you to record whatever you are putting out with your line 6. I have the big UX2 model, but this one should suit your needs just fine if you only want to take down ideas for later use.

5. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Thank you, I'll check it out!
    And again, my technical knowledge is very... well... not really there at all. Do you think I should learn about some of the technicalities like MIDI and all that? Because I have no clue at all! And where can I learn about it? :D

6. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Oh! I found a program called Reaper! Will that work with the Line 6 model you recommended?

http://www.reaper.fm/

7. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I would stay away from Line 6. I've done a lot of research on cheap audio interfaces, and they don't sound too good. Like this. I can't speak for that particular model you posted, but from the UX ones I've heard... yuck...

If you can scrape up 50 more dollars or more, Presonus is the way to go for sure. Much better. Presonus Audiobox USB, only $150.

8. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Thanks! That sounds great! I can't find a pre owned one anywhere, do you know where I can order one?
    Do you know if I can convert these files at all? Or use them in Reaper or Audacity or whatever?

Damn... guess I'll have to pay out a little bit after all! :D

9. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    best small outfit I ever found was the M-audio 610, I loved that thing, the AD/DA is right up there with RME. I liked reaper, have used every DAW made and always go back to pro tools, not because it is better ( it is a program and makes NO sound) but because every other DAW seemed to crammed for space, I like PT's mixer page, and edit page, that's it, no trying to fit a bunch of crap on one page! Dont get to wrapped up in it, just get something and make music, I spent to many years buying expensive mic pre's for character no one else would hear!

10. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Woah, it looks good, and it works with ProTools, but there's no way I'm paying any more than like £100 for starting off on recording equipment!
    Maybe in the future I'll look into it, but thanks for the suggestion anyway!

And thanks for the advice, though I'm not sure what DAW's and Pre's and AD/DA's are, I'm sure it will be useful to me some day! :D

11. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    lol...a DAW is reaper,pro tools,cubase...it is the program you use to record. AD/DA is what your interface is for (your line 6) first it takes you bass and does an "analog to digital" conversion, then it does a "digital to analog" conversions to your speakers. PRE I am talking about a microphone preamp..use whatever you can afford to start out, once you get into it more you can upgrade. I started out on tape in my fathers studio in the late 80's so, if you ever need any help just PM me and I will be happy to help you along!

12. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Oooh, I get it! Though I'm pretty sure there are a lot more terms and stuff, I'll figure it out some day!
    That's awesome, I have no idea where to start, hence why I'm here! Thank you so much, I'll definitely bear that in mind if I need some technical advice and such :D

So the PreSonus Audiobox I'm looking at comes with Cubase. If I was to record something on there, would I be able to use that recorded track in other programs like ProTools or even FL Studio?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions by the way, keep them coming!

13. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
  14. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    That's good too. I'd say Focusrite and Presonus are your two best companies for low end audio interfaces,

A large factor to consider is what kind of port type it uses. USB 1 is the slowest, USB 2 is much faster, and Firewire is extremely fast but only found on Macs.

Something I'm not really sure of and need to ask other people, does this affect latency? Obviously it affects transfer rate.

15. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Yeah, I thought that much, looking at reviews and YouTube videos and everything,

I suppose the best thing to do would just be to ask them what type of port it is! They'll probably just be really patronising and say "it's a USB connection" -_-

I think I might just go with the Focusrite 2i2 because I know where to get it

Thank you all for your help! I've learnt quite a lot from this; I've literally been looking at USB Audio Interfaces all day! :D

16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I use a Firewire interface with my Dell PC.

17. I also have firewire in my PC. I did have to add the card into the computer. It was about $20 bucks.