1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting Started (Should I?)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Shinyflavors7, May 19, 2012.

1. Hey, all I was wondering if I could get some advice. I am thinking about teaching bass. I've been playing about five years, now, and I took lessons for three of those years, but I am now in college, and I need at minimum a supplement to my meager income. The trouble is I have no formal theory training. I taken basic theory at the college level, but I don't know if know enough to teach a new player, the proper technique.

What I have:
    knowledge of scales
    basic music reading skills
    knowledge of intervals
    basic ear training
    good right, and left hand versatility

What I don't have:
    a place to teach (I guess I could do it out of my apartment)
    sight reading skills
    a degree or diploma
    a band I can boost about

Any advice?

2. I have taught with less credentials than that, though I have some pretty complex theory knowledge.

I have a good background in how intervals relate to chord and scale functions, how to build and use scales/chords/modes, harmony, and just about anything else you'd need up until the really advanced stuff.

If you have good technique and can teach people how to play, there's no reason not to and make your $20 an hour for it.

If you can learn on guitar, there's money in that too. There's no shame in saying "For $15 ($20?) an hour, I can get your child playing the instrument and understanding music works until they're ready to go to a more dedicated and inevitably more expensive guitar teacher".