Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting started

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Wes I AM, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hey, hey double bassers. I've been on the bass guitar forum for quite a while now but have yet to talk down here on the DB board. whatsup? anyway, i really came down here to ask what steps i should take towards getting into the upright bass. I have grown to love the sound and look of the upright and am very interested in learning to play it. I have been playing Bass guitar for about a year and a half now and have gotten pretty good in that amount of time but i'm slowly becoming more and more interested in different styles of music (mainly country and bluegrass, a little jazz aswell) and have noticed that all these styles depend on the upright bass most of the time. Besides, i personally think it takes more skill to play the upright than the BG and I am all about that. So, what i'm getting at is if anyone has any good suggestions regarding the steps I should take towards adopting the double or upright bass as my main weapon i'd really apreciate it. Thanks guys!

PS, as of now I don't have much money, so keep that in mind when you post your suggestions.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    OK, I'll be the first to say it...the first thing to do is to find a teacher who can help you get started. You'll need someone to come to for advice on what kind of bass to buy, how to hold it, etc. anyway, so that's always a good first step.

Reedo 35 also has an excellent post on "How to Buy A Double Bass", which you should be able to find in the archives here on the dark side. Check that out, and then report back if you still have more questions.

Good luck.

3. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I'll be the next to say it - find a teacher. On the BG your average bear can dink around for a bit and become a passable player. The DB is another story. Don't try to teach yourself. Not only will you ingrain bad habits which you will have to unlearn, but those bad habits can actually hurt you (check Mr. Fitzgerald's early posts on the subject). If you can only afford a few lessons to start out you should still go that route.

A teacher can also educate you on buying a bass and probably will have some idea of what's available in your area. Read the archives here - there is lots of good info for newbies. Spend some time reading the links at www.gollihur.com.

Good luck