Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting Started

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JazzChef, Oct 12, 2002.

1. JazzChef

JazzChef

Oct 12, 2002
    Miami, Florida
    I currently work as a professional chef and I also am an avid Jazz fan I've been thinking about learning to play the bass which has been a dream I've always had, I need direction, anything is helpful.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Sift trhough the newbie links at the beginning of the threads, but mostly, get thee to a teacher!

3. We're in the same boat. I rented a beautiful bass, had it strung with some killer jazz strings ( as the shop owner put it) and had my first lesson on Friday. I have played an hour a day since, my lefthand finger tips are numb, and I've got something going on with my right index finger, but man, I'm having fun. Just running scales up and down. Rent one, and go for it ! Played a blues tune during the first lesson, with the instructor on guitar and singing. Very simple, but hey, it's a tune

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    That last line worries me- you may be flirting with tendonitis here. Don't play though pain or muscle problems. Work up to it gradually, developing your finger muscles slowly.

5. JazzChef

JazzChef

Oct 12, 2002
    Miami, Florida
    I had no idea that you could rent equipment like that... I'll check that out thanks!

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Where in Rochester can you rent a DB?

7. I got it from Paul who owns Student Strings in Fairport. He's a bassist with the RPO.

His numbers are 377-4360 and 388-8844. His store hours are Monday and Wednesday 4 - 7, and Satuerday 10-2.

I rented my double bass for 40 bucks a month, and the rental applies towards anything I buy from them, up to a year. He has A LOT of double basses.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Very cool. Thanks for the info.:cool: