1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

getting started..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4stringwannabe, Jun 4, 2012.

1. 4stringwannabe

4stringwannabe

Jun 3, 2012
    I'm a guitarist that is thinking about playing bass regularly..i own a bass and as i get started, i'm wondering if it is unheard of to use guitar heads for bass..currently i have been practicing through a Fender Dual showman reverb 100 watt head through an 8 ohm 2 twelve cab with one celestion 65 watt black back and one 65 watt WGS Et65. At home this sounds great...down the road, would i be able to get by with this as a bass rig in clubs? Anybody done this ? Recommend this? or am I crazy?

2. Pick yourself up a good bass cab and you will have a killer set up. Those guitar speakers are not meant to handle the low end a bass cab will produce.

3. 4stringwannabe

4stringwannabe

Jun 3, 2012
    What would you suggest...i want to keep it simple (and light)

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell

At bar gig volume you'll fry those guitars speakers quickly.
    Set your budget and go used to start.

5. Used to gig a Dual Showman with bass regularly. You will need a bass cab though! I used a Sunn 215 loaded with Altec 421A's. A pair of Eminence 3015's or Faitals would be a much better combo today though.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Price range?
    Tone?
    Music style?

7. If I had my choice it would be a 39 pound Greenboy Dually 215 loaded with faital pros. Would be a sweet rig.

8. 4stringwannabe

4stringwannabe

Jun 3, 2012
    i would be playing rock and roll...looking for that all around warm , rounded sound..nothing too brittle or too boomy...but with a bit of punch..i'm mostlly a pick player at this point...i am using a fender jazz bass...looking for a cab that wouldn't break the bank or the back...

9. What's your budget?
    Greenboy Dually or Bassic would be my choices.

10. 4stringwannabe

4stringwannabe

Jun 3, 2012
    under $400..

11. Go used, and you will have to get past the lighter gear cause that costs $$$.

To gig a 100 watt head at decent volume you will need enough speakers to give you the volume you want. I suggest finding a 410 that you can double up on later. 410/810 with a tube amp would be pretty killer as long as you dont need a pure clean tone, as you will be getting some dirt out of those tubes.