Getting Stressed Deciding on a Backup...Help Please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Here's the deal. I want (not really need!) a second bass. New things have in the past really helped to keep my head in the game so to speak, as a part timer.

I'm looking into the following all with HSC's :

Brand new, Lakland Skyline 5501 Black with maple fretboard, around $785 delivered, or quilted cherry sunburst with maple board $925 delivered.

Brand new G&L 2500's, Black with maple board $1050, sunburst with maple board $950..delivered.

Used G&L, custom blue color similar to Pearl blue Ernie Ball color, with rosewood board, really nice shape $880 ish delivered

Several used and new MusicMan Stingray 5's starting at $850 to around $1325 delivered

One barely used Lakland 5594 Deluxe, natural quilted top, basslines, around $1875 delivered.

Several Modulus Quantum 5's between $1295 and 1500. Obviously the only totally "different" players than the others.

My selfish side is saying "you only live once, get the 5594 Lakalnd. It's different sounding than your current one. It's beautiful. You deserve it."

My more conservative, worrisome side is saying "they just laid off 20% of your company, your current bass has no feelings of lonliness, it's all in your mind, you need to hold on to whatever extra money you have, not spend it on more equipment you won't tell your wife about!!!"

I can't ask you to comment or make suggestions on talking to myself except to seek therapy, but certainly will entertain any comments on the bass choices. Why don't you assume that we'll work out the the mental and financial issues this weekend and buy something early next week when posting on which bass you'd suggest getting and why.

2. I'd go with the 55-94;)

I actually went through a similare experience. I had a Carvin LB75 and felt it just wasn't doing it for me so I purchased a G&L 2500 as a second bass. There were certain things a liked better about the 2500 and certain things I liked better about the LB75, although one issue I had with both basses was the narrower string spacing. I do some slapping and just couldn't get comfortable on either bass.

I ended up selling the Carvin and some other gear in order to buy a Lakland 55-94. I felt the bass was a real step above and beyond the basses I played previously and it had the standard 3/4" string spacing at the bridge that I liked. I even sold my G&L so I could buy a fretless 55-94.

They are more expensive but this is the reasoning I used with my wife: I bought both of them used and, if we were ever in need of cash, I could resell them and either not loose a whole lot of cash, break even, or maybe even make a little profit...yeah! like I was ever going to sell them.:p

If you buy used they do hold their resell value pretty good. I bought mine 2 years ago and they are typically going for about $100 less then what I got mine for, and that's in a depressed market... not bad.

I think it comes down to which ever you like best. If it's the 55-94, there are ways to work around the money issue.
  3. Larry,

I think I would seriously consider the Modulus Quantum of all the basses you listed. It would be the one that would offer a completely different sound than what you have today and, of course, is very different than the other options you are considering.

Why not get a fretless - much easier to justify!

Good luck!!
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Larry, I have a 55-01 coming in, I'll let you know how it stacks up to my 55-94. I figure I have to at least check them out and I found a good deal on a used one. It may be an alternative.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  6. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'd wait and see if I could find a Lakland for a better price. While $1850 is not bad, I've seen them as low as $1495 in excellent shape. Patience pays off in the used market.
  7. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Here's another thing embellishing on some of the comments,

After playing the 5594 which I absolutely LOVE, I'm wondering if the other one's, even including the 5501, with the exception of the Modulus and the other 5594, are going to seem like a disappointment, takin' a step down kinda? I found my Reverend Rumblefish 5 very cool at the beginning but that uniqueness wore off pretty quickly after I purchased the 5594. I also got rid of a really nice American Jazz Deluxe 4 after a year and a half once the Lakland arrived on my doorstep.

I'm also thinking that maybe a one pickup Musicman ain't gonna cut it adjustability wise at this point for me, as I don't LOVE the sound of it. It's a far cry from just OK, don't get me wrong. The one's I've played and owned in the past were excellent for me at that time. I'm not considering a G&L 1500 five string because of the one pickup thang.

I dont' want to sound like a stuck up or something but it's taken me 35 years of playing to finally get a bass this expensive that I really like!!! I don't want this second one to be quick turnover situation because it might seem of less quality. I'm also not a vintage fan, by the way. I do like newer pieces if possible.

I did play several Moduli at Bass Central, and guitar center has a used one that played great and sounded really nice. It needs some work and I don't want to worry about fixin' stuff.

The Mod's string spacing was "different" than my current Lakland but it didn't seem to get in the way for my style.

I also agree that $1850 delivered is not a real bargain for a used Lakland. This one happens to be the color I really wanted in the first place last year, but didn't have the balls to buy!! From what this dealer said, the guy selling it on consignment is a collector and this thing is barely played if at all. There's also a couple nice moduli on Basspalace and Bassplace used in the $1450 to $1600+ range and a couple 4-6 year old ones recently on or off ebay for $1300-1495.

Anyone ever play a Lakland with Basslines? How diffrerent is it than the standard mm, jazz barts? If noticeable, in a positive way, that would be really nice to add to this equation.

I'm leaning towards forgetting the G&L and Musicman options more and more. I think I'll like them at first and then regret I settled for less than I really wanted for just a few hundred bucks even though they are really nice axes. Hey, what's another $100 in interest on a credit card, right?

Thanks for your help. Keep the cards and letters comin'

8. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It's a tough decision. Naturally, it's best to try them all out and then decide. I understand that it's not always possible.

One comment I would make is that you should be able to find a 55-94 Deluxe for less. After agressively marketing my Lakland on the Net and around my hometown for a couple of months, I ended up selling it for $1,600 to a nice guy in Colorado. It had a cherry burst AAA quilted maple top, maple neck, and Barts. Other Laklands Deluxes were selling in the sub $1,800 range. I guess supply and demand fluctuates periodically, thus, affecting price.

Try it's free to run an ad.
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus Modulus

Get my drift?:D ;)
  10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.

Guitar Center Mayfield has a Bubinga Top 5 string Modulus Quantum w/ EMG BQC for $1299. Being a Clevelander, I think you know where it is.
    Check it out and look for me in Accessories, the name's Adam. If you like it, I can get you a special "Talkbass" deal on it.

I just bought a Q5 in a Purple over Blue and it is the greatest. I like the one we have at the store, it sounds the same and is a great player, but I hardly need 3 Moduli at once... But I'd sure love to have them.
  11. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey rojo,

I met you at the store. We didn't think the one tone control worked. What days are you in? I'll stop there at lunch and you can disclose the "talkbass" price!!

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    my opinion- and nothing more-

the 55-01 are surprisingly good- no doubt- but if you are going to compare to the 55-94- go with the 55-02 or find a used lak- i saw a real pretty trans white around for $1350 - i sold a beautiful tealburst and all i could get was $1450
    the Modudlus ( i used to endorse them- i think my name is still on the site) is a GREAT bass- but its not very woody sounding for slap and stuff like that- of course, you cant kill a modulus- they are very durable- but i did miss the wood warmth- Brad- im very curious to hear what you think of the 55-01.. i got a couple of them in and they sound great, but the 55-02 sounds just like my 55-94 -- im looking to keep a fretless version. Good luck, larry!!
  13. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Sorry, I had to do that. Is Lakland going to come out with a 5502 that has a quilted top in natural? If so, what do you think you'd be selling it for with a case and how long would it take to get it?

I noticed that no one has said that I'm nuts for not giving G&L and MusicMan more consideration. I didn't expect so little resistance.

I don't know that I want to have another bass "sound" exactly like the 5594. That's one of the attractive features of the one I saw on another dealer's site that's equipt with Basslines.

How would you describe the difference? The problem is that I'm gonna have to pay a premium for this bass 'cause it's on consignment and the owner isn't gonna sell it as a bargain!!

Thanks for your feedback. I like the cherryburst ones on your site. My email is How about sending me a quote on the 5501 quilted cherryburst with a case delivered to Cleveland.

Maybe that would work for me.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like G&L's & MusicMans are great basses but the other basses you're considering are in a different league. All great basses, but for different reasons.

Out of the basses you mentioned, I like in this order:

Modulus Quantum 5
    G&L L-2500

The Laklands & MusicMans are great basses, but personally, I never like the sound of basses w/a MM pick up in amy configuration. I've owned a few L-2500's & played a few Quantum 5 w/a Barts & EMG's & I liked them all.

Seems like the highest you're looking to spend is $1875. I've seen some Sadowsky's sell for about that much. My second Sadowksy was a 24 fret 5 on Cherry burst w/a quilted maple top & I paid $1800 or $1850. I ended up selling to a guy in Japan for about $2100. It didn't compare to the 24 fret 5 I currently had. THIS would be MY choice!!! :)
  15. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Two things:

1. How do you like your skyline?

2. What's the B string like on the L2500's?

There's a mint one on ebay with a buy it now in my price range in a decent color for me.

I wouldn't normally be putting so much darned emphasis on the extra few bucks, but like I said, there's a lotta instability out there and my employment situation could change overnight. I realize that I could turn around and sell whatever I buy. I feel that a nice G&L might be a little easier to turn over more quickly at less of a loss than a USA Lakland or a Modulus right now.

From what I've seen, I'm gonna have to pay $500 to a grand more for a really nice used Modulus compared to the above G&L and obviously, they don't come up used as often, especially in more "traditional" color schemes plus being in close to mintly condition.

Maybe the G&L 2500 isn't a bad alternative, BUT how do you like your skyline 5501 compared to G&L's you've played?

Thanks for answering.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    1. I like the SkyLine alot more than I expect. The neck is very very comfortable. The only 5 I have that I like the feel of the neck better is my Sadowsky 24 fret. The sound of this bass is GREAT. Focused, well defined. It cuts through VERY EASILY!!!! IMO, I like the sound better from my 55-01 better thsan the 55-94 & 55-02 that has the USA pick up's & pre-amp. But like I said before, I'm not fond of MM style p/u's in any configuration. Also, IMO, this is the best sounding bass w/Bartolini's I've ever played.

2. The B string on the 2 L-2500 I've owned were great. I've also owned 2 L-5500 that were the same bass but w/stock EMG 40DC & BTC preamp & the B on those were also great. The only down side was that the string spacing was very tight. When I owned them, it was OK cuase I was most of my 5's has tighter string spacing (Spector NS-5's) but now that I have a Sadowsky, 2 Warmoth 5's & the 55-01, I am not too fond of the tighter string spacing.

3. Both were great basses. The quality control on the G&L's was MUCH better & they're made in the USA. The Lakland 55-01 has a few minor finish flaws. Nothing major, but I noticed them. Either way you go, You'll have a good bass. Regarding Re-Sale, I thing the Lakland would be a better choice since it a really new/hot item. The G&L's tend to lose some value but if you're buying it used in the 1st place, you might break even or not lose as much if you were to buy new.
  17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Hey, Larry!!! ( actually, wasnt it "yo, Adrian!??")
    aol voice =ON
    "you've got mail"
    aol voice= OFF
  18. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Nino, I think getting the USA Lakland I saw on a site is a $300-$500 loss just waiting to happen if I need a quick sale. In a normal economy, I wouldn't care about the extra few bucks for the quilted natural mint condition Lakland 5594 with Basslines.

Unfortunately, now I do have to be more careful (which stresses an addicted impulse buyer/ equipment junkie like me to no end!!!) and think about garbage like resale.

I've seen other 5594's being advertised right now on Bassgear and harmonycentral, along with one used one on Beaver's site which may already be sold, at right around $1800-1999.

I know Adrian sold one for less recently and there was just one on Talkbass for around $1450, but they're both Bartolini MM+J, which is exactly what I have now.

Based on what you're saying, I'll get a decent, yet slightly different sound with a Skyline for $750-900 including case or this mint G&L for about $885 delivered, maybe less. Worse case I can sell either of them for darn close to what I paid, maybe lose a $100 or $150, rather than 3 to 500 which is what it takes to sell a 5594 quickly.

Isn't a G&L warrantee transferrable also? This bass has the 3 and 2 headstock so it's gotta be under warrantee still if it's transferrable don't you think?

I don't feel the string spacing will be an issue as I've played the narrower spacing for all 34 years prior to the current Lakland's wider spacing. Having played several musicmen recently at Guitar Center, I didn't find any challenges to the slightly narrower gage spacing of their 5's vs my Lakland's.

Thanks and I appreciate your feedback.

19. Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    I'm in the same boat, and my feeling is getting either a used USA 55-94 or skyline 55-02. My current bass is EMG based, and the Barts would be a nice change for me.

Have you checked out Lull? There's a nice 5 on ebay right now.

Its pretty much a no-brainer on getting the Lakland. They are great basses. The market is hot and any Lakland would sell quickly.