1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting that Ampeg tone - Ampeg required?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by macmrkt, Aug 14, 2007.

1. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I play in a variety of bands, with boutique basses as well as with a P Bass or a Stingray. Some of these bands are classic rock and blues and the clubs are small to medium bars. There typically isn't PA support for the bass so my sound comes out of my gear. I usually use small lightweight rigs like Bergantino and EA.

A few times recently, the "house" provided the rig. One time, I ran through a BA115T that had PA support. Another time, I ran through an SVT450 with SVT410E with no PA support. I used very modern basses each time. And each time, the sound was really nice - punchy, deep...very pleasing for blues and classic rock playing.

My question...is that Ampeg sound more the head or both head and cabinet? If it is the head, anyone have success with an Ampeg head and a lighter cabinet like the Berg or EA or...? If it's the head and cabinet, are there any lighter weight Ampeg rigs that will cut it? Thanks for the advice.

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I use a SVP-CL with a Bergantino box

It can sound VERY Ampeg if I want.

3. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    It's a combination of both the head and the cabinet. The classic series cabs use stamped frame drivers, which have a distinctive sound. Along with that, a lot of Ampeg heads are a bit dark sounding and don't have extreme clarity like a Berg or an EA. I don't think you can get the Ampeg sound in a lightweight package, because light cabs with Neo speakers won't give you that Ampeg tone.

4. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    If you use "non-colouring" amp and cab then a amp modulator like a line6 might be your way to do.
    I know it doesn't seem like this could possibly be a valid route because it doesnt cost $1000+ but try it out and mabye be very supprised.

For heads I use an Eden 550, or a QSC PLX 2402 with an amp modulator in front of it, or the PLX with a Tech 21 Programmable DI in front of it.
    For cabs I have an Ampeg 610 and 3 Acme 210 cabs.

I also had an ampeg svt4pro and an ampeg svtPro preamp that I used for a while. I have also worked at a music store where I was left alone all day and we had no customers... they had 80% of ampeg products for me to play. The closest I can get to an ampeg 810 and with a SVTCL on top is with the line 6 and the acmes... not the ampeg 610 cab.

Anyway, after much time with ampeg... and I love ampeg... I have found that I get a great ampeg tone from the line 6--->QSC2402---ACME 210 cabs.

Jonathan

5. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    +1 on this configuration (SVP-CL + IP112 here). If you want that vintage Ampeg sound, you need something that has the mojo or circuitry of the old Ampeg amps. I owned the B-15R (the B-15 reissue) and it sounded nothing like the vintage Ampeg amps I own. It didn't stay long in my arsenal.

I'm dying to try the Low End True Voice preamp which supposedly really sounds like a B-15.

One thing I am going to try is running my B-25B or B-15N heads via a power soak into the Bergantino. Talk about vintage vibe!

Other amps can come close I'm sure with the right dialed in settings, but I have yet to find a rig that really sounded like an old Ampeg other than using an old Ampeg.

6. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    When I was starting out, I wanted the Ampeg [SVT] sound. But, I was in my early teens and didn't have the money to shell out all at once. I literally went through eight years of buying and selling gear in search for the Ampeg tone...at least 15 different heads. If you want the Ampeg tone, save your money, and get the Ampeg...nothing else will cut it if that is the tone in your head.

I think the Ampeg tone is 95% in the head rather than the cabinet.

7. I am getting an Ampeg-ish tone from my Sansamp Para Driver into my Carvin B1500 into my Ampeg 8x10. I like the tone I get from this setup better than the tone I used to get with my mid '70s SVT. No kidding!

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm not an Ampeg guy, but my first amp was an early 70s portaflex. I was looking for a "vintage tone" box for my FX Board. I found a solution I think.

This arrived yesterday.

Here is a quick clip... passive flatwound strung fretted 5 -> Flipster -> Soundcard! No processing, no modeling, just recorded and exported as is. I chose a few classic riffs and end with a little Chris Wood. Neck Dimarzio ultra jazz pickup soloed.

Does it sound Ampegish?

9. I am no expert, as I only played an svt a few times, but I use my line 6 to emulate one. I have to say this recording is really good. Do they sell a finished version..I am not allowed near a soldering iron for a number of reasons...

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    me either :bag:

Yeah, I bought this and a "Marshall Super Lead" in a box (called "Thor") from them completed & ready to play. I have a custom blender on order as well as 2 others.

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I had the same experience last weekend.

Walked up to an unfamiliar Ampeg backline rig, plugged in, all the "switches" were "in" and the EQ was flat and it sounded perfect.

Now thats an easy soundcheck! Ampeg rocks, I say "why fight it"?

Its both head and cab. The solid state powered heads are not heavy, most of the cabs are, unfortunately.

12. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have the cab (SVT810E) but use an Eden Navigator and ss power amp for the juice. It doesn't sound like an SVT head but it sounds pretty good to my ears. The cab really helped as i was trying to get away from the modern bright cab sound. The tweeterless, sealed cab design has its limitations, but its amazing how good this cab sounds in the mix.

13. Oh... my... goodness....
    That could be the coolest thing EVER!!!!

14. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    :eek: OMG that is going into my gig-bad IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!

15. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
  16. FenderP

May 7, 2005
    I owned an SB-12 at one point, but when I got my '67 B-15N, I was much happier. I just like the looks of that stompbox.

17. That KILLS Line6!!! I know my next toy;)

Line6 isn't bad, I got the POD XT Live. The SVT model with the 810 cab sim is good for recording, thats for sure, I've used it on a few sessions and the artists LOVED it.

As for the 'peg tone without the 'peg, it's mostly the heads. Ampeg cabs contribute a bunch to the tone, due to the lack of "clean" lows. My 810e has a great low mid snarl to it. It rocks.

At 165 lbs though, I'm gonna have to downsize pretty soon:(

18. I've used a SVP-Pro/PLX 1202 into a Whappo Jr. Ampeg tone out the butt.

19. FenderP

May 7, 2005
    I agree. The heads are where it's at.

I don't regret going with the IP112 + preamp configuration. If you do, the SVP-CL is the way to go, but as I said, I'm looking to try the Low End which supposedly is more like the B-15 and has a real tube. I now carry about 50lbs of weight total, not 100.

As a gigging musician, my back thanks me.

20. I still owe you Flipster sound clips.
    Nice work. You put it together in a day?

Mine pretty much has a full time job in my AG500SC effects loop - blend in as much dirt as you want.

Back on topic... I think it depends on what you define as the "Ampeg tone". Some think that Ampeg lost the Ampeg tone in the Pro series. Wheras I've heard recordings where I've guessed SVT and it was Mesa.