Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting that certain sound....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Sep 2, 2002.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey talkbassers,

I am once again in need of some assistance that hopefully some of you can provide. I really like the bass tone on the Hot Water Music album "A Flight and a Crash." I have been trying to get a similar tone from my bass, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get anything even remotely close. Here is what I know: Jason Black (HWM bassist) plays a G&L ASAT bass, he plays with his fingers, and I'm almost sure he uses Ampeg amps and cabs cause that what I see in the live pictures I've seen. So, I was wondering if anyone could maybe give me some ideas on how to get "the" tone. Pretty much any song on the CD has the sound, but the most readily available song is one called "Paper Thin." Any ideas are welcome!! Thanks a lot!

---kid

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I'm not going to answer the question but as you got no replies for 5 days here's my 2 pence.

Tone comes from you, phrasing, technique, the distortion of space and time by the mass of your body..whatever. The point is that even if you stole the gentleman's gear you would sound like...you.

Gear has it's place. Buy good gear that stays in tune, plays well, is reliable and doesnt hum or buzz too much, oh and loud enough so you can hear it.

Your style and taste will guide you to make gear choices. Play a lot of systems and come up with something that is you, yours, original.

nuff said

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    While I do agree with CS on what he said, I would like to add that alot of it is EQing, and that often artist use differnt gear in the studio and on the road.

Your own tone is something that is an important part of development as a bassist. You tone helps bring out your playing style, and space in the band. As my playing style has developed and changed, so has my tone, always evolving to suit my style.

Well after listening to the song, I have some guesses to how he gets his sound. First off, alot of it is from the fact that he is using a G&L. I use a G&L with the same preamp and pickups except mine is a five string with a different body style (L-2500). Ill say that he probably has his ASAT bass set with the pickups in paralel which is basically a single coil sound, with both pickups on. Its probably in active with trebble boost mode with the bass dimmed a bit and full trebble.

On his amp he has the mids dimmed and the bass and treble boosted. He also has the gain on his amp turned up to get some distortion, and digs in alot. He almost slaps the strings down when he plays. Thats how he gets that really bright sound.

Peace
    Nick

4. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Thank you for the help guys. I know that I should find my own sound, and hopefully soon I will find that sound. Overall, I just really like the tone that Jason Black has on that CD and I wanted to see if I could get something similar to it. I change my settings on my bass daily trying to find something that fits me, so I look for sounds I like from bands I like to help point me in the right direction. Anyway, I thank you again for your opinions and help. By the way Nick, how do you like your G&L? I've been looking into getting a two-humbucker bass and I'm still hanging somewhere between a G&L L-2000/ASAT or a Musicman Sabre. I'm always looking for opinions on these basses.

Thanks again!
    ---kid

5. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    never tried a sabre, 'cause I never had the chance. I own a L-2 and loooove it. Besides the looks - some people seem to be really mad about that tele-look of the asat - I would really go for the more comfortable bass. This is what I don't like about the Asat. Try it and don't just go for looks.
    Dirk

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I love my G&L!

Even if I became an incredibly rich rockstart with access to any bass on earth, I would still play G&L.

Of course Id have other basses that Id play, but I would never get rid of my G&L L-2500.

Killer neck, killer electronics, killer finish, killer feel, killler tone. The only thing I dont like about it is that I cant play both fretted and fretless parts in one song with this bass.

Peace
    Nick

7. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I must say that I've heard a lot of good things about the G&L L-2000 and the few times I have played one I was quite impressed. Unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of the look of the bass, especially the headstock. I might try and find an early 80's L-2000 when it still had a "fender-like" headstock and the skunk stripe. Hopefully the older models are as good as the newer ones.

--Kid