Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting that Funk sound.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dan Loader, May 10, 2003.

1. I've been playing for little over 2 years now (Although 4 years on guitar beforehand) and have pretty much nailed my slap technique, but I have absolutely no idea how do get that punchy funk style on my bass. At the moment best I can do is a Bartok Pizz (Pulling up the strings to bounce them off the board) but I can't get anything more than 3 notes/second with that.
    How do people like Stu Hamm and Mark King get that sound so quickley? Is it EQ settings, or something else?

2. Left hand technique. Hammer-on's, pull-off's, slides. You can pluck once and do a hammer-on and two pull-off's, all within a single beat. 16th notes!

3. If you're talking sound, it's bass and EQ, if it's technique, the mark king style comes with a lot of practice, use some drummer warmups to get the wrist motion happining.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Light strings, low action, light touch.

5. What kind of strings would be best for that kind of sound? Any old lights, or flats?