1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting that Geddy Growl

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jepus, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Alliteration, nice!

Howdy folks, been on a bit of a Rush trip these past few weeks and I was just admiring Geddys tone while I watched the Rush in Rio DVD. Just wondering how I'd go about getting that growl he has in his tone?

I'm using a Corvette $$ NT so I can split the hums to make them jazz pups so I guess I'm a bit of the way there :meh:

2. Well, his signature bass has the clangy, metallic wail that I love so much, and it goes a long way towards the tone. In fact, he began using the Jazzes again in the 90's because the Steinbergers and Wal's weren't giving him the bottom end he loved so much. As far as amp, from 2002 onwards, he's been using DI units. Before that, Trace Elliots. I hear he's been using Sansamp RBIs for a lot of studio stuff, and Sansamp RPM preamp live, along with a Trace Elliot tube amp on the recent tour. Oh, and the dryers are Maytag, if you're looking for that warm, dry tone.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Can't comment on the Steinberger (GUP) but the Wals, but he commented that the Wals had a "fruity bottom" sound to them. In 1993 he was persuaded to try out the jazz bass. Rush took a massive knock in 1993 and have spent a long time recovering from it.

I guess it's better that Geddy doesn't use the Wals anymore, it makes the glory days of 1986-1991 seem a bit more wonderful!

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    A lot of his tone has to do with his hands and how he plays. There's an interview at http://www.bassplayer.tv/ where he talks about his goofy right hand style.

It also has to do with his amp. He's not just using DIs, he's got his low end going through a TE Quatravalve which then goes into a Palmer speaker simulator and is then run to the board, and his top end is split into clean (via an Avalon U5) and dirty (via a Sansamp RPM, formerly an RBI) and the sound guy blends the three as is appropriate.

I loved the pre-'93 bass sound but I have to disagree that it took a big knock. They started moving away from heavy keyboards around that time and the new bass tone was kind of a necessary space-filler I think. Of course I happen to think that his current tone is by far the best he's ever had so... :)

5. Can't comment on the favorite bass tone for me. I don't hear Conoras, Rickenbackers, Steinbergers, Wals, or J-Basses. I just hear Geddy, and I like what I hear.

6. I'd say this is pretty definitive:

http://www.bassplayer.tv/

Click on "Geddy Lee". There are 3 interviews. One with Geddy about rehearsing the upcoming tour, one with Geddy explaining the basses he uses, and one with his bass tech explaining his rig and how the different basses are tuned.

Geddy's using an RPM on this tour instead of an RBI. And...I finally figured out why/how he uses a Trace Elliot poweramp even though he only goes into the PA.

- Rob

7. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    He's on the cover of this months BASS PLAYER magazine...Good interview about tone..

8. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    geddy PWNS

love geddy!!!

love any bass he used except the steinberger days of grace under pressure ( CRAPOLa )
    worst sound ever.
    i.m.h.o.

to my best knowledge,
    im half asleep here ::::

ric = all the early cds b4 moving pictures ( before 1981 )

fender jazz= (81, 82) ( 93- 07 ) = moving pics to signals , then again on counterparts( 94) , and everything after it thru present day !

wal basses = ( 83-92 ) = power windows, presto , hold your fire, show of hands, roll the bones,