Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting that sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Jan 2, 2001.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I been wondering whats the best amp to get a hi-tech sound?

by hi-tech I mean a very synth bass sound (not to be confused with bass synth as in envelope follower!)like those super clean bass guitar sounds that keyboards imitate?

[Edited by air_leech on 01-02-2001 at 04:45 AM]

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Preferably an amp and speakers that give a clean projection of your sound. Like, rather EBS than Trace Elliot.

But 90% of that sound is in the bass. You can't get a Fender Precision to sound high-tech.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The best amp is no amp.

On recordings it's usually a DIed bass sound that gets that kind of sound. To do it live you'll want lots of CLEAN power (i.e. pro audio power amps) and some speakers that are full range (skip the SVT).

Some of the Eden and SWR heads and cabs will also get you in the ballpark.

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I seen a promo to a tv show where they introduced each musician in the band and got a sound clip of him playing his instrument (i.e. the guitar player- a tastey chop, the drummer- some cool drum solo and so on... you get the idea),
    anyway the bass player was using a Tobias 4 string thru-neck
    I couldn't pick the wood combination but it was something redish brown and no maple in the body, anyway the lick he played was very clean, I'm not so good in describing sounds but when I heard his sound the word hi-tech popped to my mind.
    it was sounding very smooth, a lot of treble but smooth treble with no harsh sounds going in, it was very clinic though, synthethic sounding, very precise, he is an accomplished studio musician so I guess that contributes to the sound he achived.
    I only hear this sound in fusion tunes and some pop tunes from the 80's, I think Bunny Brunnel has a similar sound.

on the actual show he was playing through a small combo amp, nearly as small as the guitarists and he had a very deep bass sound with nothin else over it and they were playing old stuff, not modern fusion like the promo featured.

does this help?

[Edited by air_leech on 01-02-2001 at 04:05 PM]

6. billbassbuilder

billbassbuilder

Aug 30, 2000
    I think you've got good responses so far. One thing that I do notice is that in addition to a good pro grade amp (Mine's is an SWR400) and a hifi cab like SWR, Eden or Hartke, would be active electronics on your bass. I've got two Fenders, a P, a P-Special and one of my custom built basses (I build them under the name Roze basses, you can check out Rozebass.com in the spring), amd the Fenders never quite get that slice and dice of my custom. When I go from passive to active on my Bartolini's though, I can dial in that hifi sound so much easier.
    Hope that's helpful.

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

yeah Bill, only active electronics get that sound, my Warwick can get pretty cloes but it's not accented enough.
    I think you need a graphite instrument for it.
    and I'm sure the Bartolinis help a lot, it's surely has to do something to do with the smoothness associated with bartolinis, really as clean as a fretless equipped with bartolinis but it was fretted without fret noise.

btw, you got one cool piece of an amp!

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Graphite instruments? Nah.
    If you're after the Tobias's tone in the tv show, I'll tell you Tobiases are not "graphited" (except for some reinforcement?). Hi-fi basses give hi-fi sounds (among others). Your Streamer really isn't that much of a hi-fi bass (just Warwicked ;) ... oh silly me), but at least more hi-fi than my MIM Jazz...

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

I don't recall saying my Streamer LX was hi-fi, just that it could get the sound I'm looking for but its like it is masked or something, and I guess I need a hi-fi amp to get it out.
    and also I think graphite instruments could give more of an hi-fi sound, even better than the Tobias because they are colder in charecter due to the composites and the EMGs that most graphite basses manufacturers install in them.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't recall ever saying that you said your Streamer was hi-fi :), but I think you'll never get that true hi-fi sound with that bass, although you might get close. You certainly have a point about graphites/EMG's being "colder", but to me "hi-fi" doesn't necessarily equal "cold". You can still have a warm woody thump and consider it "hi-fi". Of course, it is all in the ear of the listener, there is no exact definition of what a "hi-fi" bass sounds like. It's more like a feeling, and feelings are very personal, as are our opinions.

What's my point? Well, points are overrated anyway... :p

11. Take a lsten to Mark King in some Level 42 recordings. He used a Jay Dee (British Alembic type bass) and I think Trace Elliot. Also listen to Tony Levin's sound (Musicman thru a Trace.)