Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting that warm hi-fi sound...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 8, 2004.

1. My Hartke KB12 can come fairly close to the sound I like with it's very good "shape control", but nothing I've heard (so far) has ever hit it just as right in my gut as the Mesa Boogie WalkAbout Scout combo...

So now that you know what sound I like, can you offer me other ideas as to what different amps/combos are out there for getting these warm full tones? (I'm not a slap-popper; couldn't care less about it...)

I also like fairly lightweight stuff, as it's only used for smaller venues like churches and intimate rooms.

I'd save up and just go out and buy the Scout, but I figure if I'm going to spend that kind of $$ I should also find out what else is out there first... And I'm also a little concerned about those upward facing vents in the Scout; they look like dirt collectors, or worse yet, a spilled drink disaster just waiting to happen...

Thanks,
    Greywoulf :)

2. Please don't take offense to this but I have never heard of either of those amplifiers described as "Hi-Fi". I do believe however that I understand the sound you're describing. It's "tube tone" with some speaker coloration in the mid-range. If this is what you're looking for then pretty much anything made by the large manufacturers with nice tube pre-amps or complete tube amplifiers would probably please you.

3. @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

No offense taken... I just assumed hi-fi meant that clear and warm sound, as opposed to thick and muddy. (No offense meant here either, but that's how I hear most Ampeg speakers as sounding like; thick and muddy..)
    Guess I was mistaken about Mesa being hi-fi then... :) I'll have to watch for the tube pre-amp systems now tho, 'cause that's definitely the sound I dig!

So what sound then would you call hi-fi? Would that be like a completely digital hi-end, like, say, Eden or Euphonics? (Which I haven't heard yet...) Is that completely different from the tube sound?

Thanks,
    Greywoulf

4. A Hi-Fi cab would be very flat in it's response, accurately reproducing the exact signal put into the system with little or no "coloration". A really good example to get an idea would be high quality studio monitors. They are very accurate in reproducing the in-put signal. In the bass amp/cab world not too many guys really dig this sound (I do). Some of the manufacturers that are known for producing very accurate "hi-fi" sounding cabs would be Euphonic Audio, Acme, and Accugroove.

The nice thing about using very accurate cabs is that the different tonal characteristics of different basses and amps/pre-amps can be explored without working against the "limitations" of many of todays popular cabinets. If you found a nice pre-amp that you liked the sound of all you need to do is mate it to a power amplifier and plug it into your accurate speakers and you will hear exactly what that pre-amp sounds like. If you want to check out some different pre-amps go to-

http://www.basstasters.com/preamps.htm

There are many different pre-amps on there that you can listen to. Some tube, some SS, some hybrid, etc... you get the picture. Keep in mind that generally speaking tubes are going to give you that "warm" sound. There are however many quality SS units that can do it quite well too. It's a really cool site with amps, basses, etc... so explore it. Hope this helps a little!

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    This may be a bit more, weight and size wise, than what you are looking for, but I have(IMO) a warm Hi-Fi sounding rig. I am currently running an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro through an Acme Low B4 and really like the tone that I am getting.

I imagine the same could be said if I were using the Acme Low B2. The cabs that Acme make are very transparent and I think that the Ampeg adds just the right amount of "color" to get the tone that I am looking for. My SR5 has never sounded better. :hyper:

6. A pr of Aguilar GS112's a F1-X and Stewart 1.2.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you like the sound of the Walkabout (never heard it with the Scout, though), then I'd say get the Walkabout. I own one, and I like it very much. If you need more power, the M-Pulse 600 would be a great choice, or you can wait around for the newer Boogie heads to hit. Another alternative that is fairly close in tonality, and even more flexible, is the ThunderFunk head. Another very nice option, IMHO, and certainly in the same ballpark as the Walkabout.

For a very different tone, but just as much flexibility and power to spare, the EA iAMP 800 (or 500) are tremendous units also worth checking out.

Tom.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you get a chance to try the EA iAmp 500 or 800, for a warm tube like tone, use the settings from the web site:

http://euphonicaudio.com/index.cfm?page=imready&subpage=articles&article=toneshaping

I personally set the low at about +10 and the HI at about -10 or even -5, but I have the tweeter almost turned off. I also leave the deep preset off most of the time. WARNING: If you do keep the LO at +12 and turn on the deep preset, make sure the speaker can handle the bass. At high volumes you can blow the speaker.

Also try the flat setting. The more I use the iAMP, the more I leave the settings just flat.