1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

getting the band gig ready

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Shiningwater, Jan 22, 2012.

1. So we are still working on getting ourselves out there, bit of a way to go, but I'm looking ahead, our drummer is broke ass, and doesn't have a stage worthy kit, and I'm thinking we are going to need a van to cart all our crap so we ain't taking 6 cars. Any tips?

2. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    PT jobs?

What makes his kit not stage worthy?

I would say play a gig or two...or 20 before worrying about purchasing a van...if anyone has a wagon or a couple of you have hatchback (ime, imho, ymmv) you are good to go...unless you are hauling lights and what not... :)

3. If everyone has a car they can schlep their own stuff, there's no point spending money on a van for local gigs. If you're touring, that's a different issue, gas will eat you alive, and driving long distances goes better with all guys in one vehicle with people driving in shifts. Otherwise, what's wrong with 6 cars?

If everyone takes a part of the pa/lights you can usually squeeze everything in their current vehicles.

People get by with amazingly bad equipment, if I were your drummer, I'd make sure there were enough gigs to pay for drums before going all out on an expensive new kit for pay to play or free gigs. Look into a decent used set, you'll save a bundle.

I'd spend money on substandard equipment way before I spent money on a 'band van'. Same issue as any "band" property. who pays for it, who gets what back when the band breaks up. You got insurance, gas, who gets to drive it around between gigs.

Get used to an idea of a day job, music business is a lot more fun if you don't depend on it for a living.

Randy

4. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Yeah, I don't get the van thing at all. If its only an hour drive or something, everyone brings their own stuff.

In my experience, if you need all this time to play a bar gig or whatever, its probably not going to go that great. It's a good experience to work with whatever band you have, but in the end I think a gigging band should be up to speed in a rehearsal or two, especially if its a cover band.

5. How much gear to you have? Vans are handy because you don't have to unload your gear @3 am like my band has to do because every one drives a pickup truck. Don't understand why you need a Van .......not a priority when first starting out. Maybe find a roadie that has a van and wants to hang with the band. Lots of people that enjoy music and the band experience that don't play an instrument.....do some networking and find someone that owns a Van and toss em a couple bucks to drive you all to the gigs.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Btw, how old are you?

How many gigs do you have lined up?

If it's only one, make do with what you have. Or buy used equipment to fill in. A lot cheaper.

+1` on spending your hard earned cash on a "band" van. Who's going to own it? Pay insurance? Maintenance? And if you break up the day after you get the van, then what?

Just fit your equipment in the least number of cars you can. The members who ride together can share gas money.

The point is to get from point A to point B. You don't all have to ride in a van to be a band. Lot's of groups get themselves to the gig in their own cars.

+1 on some part-time jobs to raise some cash for equipment. Why is the drummer broke? Where does his money go if he can't put together some cash for a new kit?

Good luck.

7. I don't wanna sound like a bastard but it's his problem, no-one else's. He's gotta do whatever it takes. Doesn't really matter if it's, a cheap kit - he has to do whatever it needs (new heads, fix/replace, etc.) to have a kit that won't fall apart onstage.

You help out as friends where you can, but ultimately if he wants to be a gigging muso it's his responsibility to do what it takes have the gear for the gig.

Nope; for local gigs get yourselves there in your cars. Double up where you can. Most gigs I do there'll be 3-4 or more cars as it's our individual responsibility to get ourselves there. If a band I'm playing with gets an away gig we hire a van.

8. Ok cool, thanks for the replies.

I'm 37 in a few days, have a job, a jeep Cherokee, all my own equipment etc, band was close to getting out there, for some small gigs for the experience, about 3 hours worth of tunes, making progress quickly, then lead guitarist lost interest and decided he'd rather do theater than commit to the band, as where I live is not a massive city and took us awhile to find lead guitarist good enough, until he learns all the songs we can only jam on the songs he knows as he learns them, not always everyone can make it to jam practice, so its slow going atm.

As for the van we can get by without one locally, was thinking about out of town gigs when we do get enough Exp to go for road trips. Spirit of adventure goin on in my head. :)

Drum Kit is cheap and old not the best sounding, drummer is finding it hard to maintain it or add new gear due to family, is an older uni student, with only part time work and is just getting by.

I won't be taking an out of tune, falling apart bass to a gig, and feel the same about drum kit. Lol.

9. "Jam Practice" needs to morph to "gig rehearsal". "Jam Practice" doesn't evoke any strong emotions of preparing for gigging.

Focus on what's immediately ahead of you. If you don't even have a "proper" band, and local gigs, then don't bother about the out of towners. Focus on getting the band itself gig-ready by having your 3-hrs worth of songs bullet-proof and tight.

Appears that your most pressing issue is the drum kit. Maybe do a deal with the drummer for upgrades or find a drummer with a gig-ready kit. Its a bit cold to say that but if you can't take that kit on a gig, then why bother?

10. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    Retail stores have a "soft opening" to work out the kinks.

Find something you can do the same for with the band.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    IME you never feel ready for that first gig. Go do it! (And a drummer that doesn't carry his own weight is a bone of contention with me.)

12. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    IMO, your drummer doesn't need super expensive drums. Entry level kits made in the last 10 years by any of the reputable manufacturers will be fine with new heads. Cymbals are a different story, he should definitely have cast cymbals, like Zildjian A or Sabian AA. I've seen lots of drummers spend lots of money on a DW or Pearl Reference kit, only to skimp on cymbals. ZBT's or B8's just don't cut it.

13. +1!