1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting the best Amp tone in a basement questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by growler571, Mar 27, 2015.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Hellow Fellow Bassists Growler571 here. Can someone give me some tips on how to get the best tone from my bass amp down in a basement. We dont have any sound boards or foam on the walls at all and it is all just cement and no carpet either. And the sound seems to just kinda become a blur of everything when our 3 piece loud rock band is practicing down there. I cant seem to get a tight controlled bass sound down there. Do I need some carpet under my amp or some sound insulation or what? Any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks Growler571

2. Carpet, heavy drapes on the walls, overstuffed fabric chairs, egg crates attached to the walls (take up a collection of dozen and 18 count trays). Any or all can make a big difference.
    Round cardboard tubes (12" or bigger) placed in the corners.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  3. Turn amps down. Damp the drums.

Put amps up on beer crates. Less volume bouncing around, more in your ears.

EQ some lows out of guitar. Those frequencies are the best of the bass tone.

Wear earplugs. The Etymotic ones are cheap enough, flat enough attenuation, comfortable and durable.

B-string likes this.
  4. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007

5. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Good Ideas folks. I like the stuffed chair idea especialy. I think I can get ahold of an old recliner easily, and the rest are all great ideas also. I want to get me some beer crates and try to maybe get some carpet for the floor under the amps as well.

B-string likes this.