Getting the bug for a TUBE amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Dec 1, 2002.

1. I've been a die hard Transistor guy for the past 20 years. I haven't used a tube amp since I retired my old Sunn 200S. It still works I think. All this talk about SS vs TUBE is giving me the bug for a tube amp. I've looked at a few. I like stuff that rack mounts into a SKB case. I've used these cases for years and stuff looks the same when it comes out as when it went in (no bangs or scratches) so the first thing I want is rack mountable. SVT-2 pro, and Mesa 400+. Are 2 that I might be interested in. I can't even find any decent pictures of the Mesa 400+ but I'm still leaning towards it due to the power (500 watts) and the recommendations of other TB'ers. I know there is a very large and strong SVT camp out there as well. Where can I buy Mesa? There is a local dealer who can order it for me. His price is $1400 bucks :eek: Is that the going price? I don't mind paying it I just don't want to get ripped off. Any suggestions?
  2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Buy yourself a Sans Bass DI for $169 and tube emulate your ass off. My whole rig now revolves around the recent acquisition of mine. It makes anything sound like a tube for pennies (and a lot easier to carry around)!

3. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Mesa's have a set price which they go for so the going rate is 1399 new. They're not much cheaper used so go new. They're considerably lighter than an ampeg. More power, not that it matters really because they both have massive ammounts of headroom but the mesa will stay clean at a high volume where as the svt will have troubles. The 400+ is cheaper, lighter, more powerfull and IMO is backed by a better company. Mesa's service is great and they'll always help you out. It basically comes down to tone I guess, do you want the ampeg grunt? or the mesa's strong clean tone?

P.S. I have a 400+ and love it, it's just so thick it makes everything else sound thin (IMO).
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Mesa 400+ has 500 watts of peak power, 300 watts RMS. This is not really an issue, though, since it is incredibly loud. I just wanted to clarify that. You should put an Aguilar DB 728 on the list too. You can usually find a good used one for about $1000.00. I have one and highly recommend it.
  5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    With a new Mesa, don't waste time "shopping"
    the price is the price-
    Used-you takes your chances; on a tube circuit I personally would NOT-I would buy new, get the warranty, get the "kit" that mesa furnishes, including 1/2 off for re-tubing AND enjoy the incomparable sound-
    OTOH, an SVT (I LOVES the PRO II!!) would not be chopped livah either!
    BTW- I use tubes (Mesa Buster; Ampeg VB4H)
    There is nothing solid state that can sound as rich-
    close, but no cigar-