Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting the Entwistle sound part.2

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by polo3378, Dec 14, 2000.

1. polo3378

polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    Hello again

Since I have already asked how John Entwistle got his sound, and got some cool answers, now comes the tricky part...

Since I have a Memphis P-Bass with Dimarzio's (guys, bear with me, I am a college student on a budget) with some GHS medium Light strings (which need to be replaced!!!) and the amp is a Trace Elliot 715 SMC amp, what can I do to get that loud, metallic, trebly sound with what I got?

Please help and God bless!!!

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated!

2. if your strings are dead, I suggest taking them off and boiling them to get some brightness back.
    then, with the strings back on (d'oh), keep the low end on your amp centered flat, select the P pickup and boost the 2.5k and 5k regions (I've got a Trace Elliot SMC too). maybe cut a bit of 500hz. finally, play with a pick on the bridge side of the P pickup to get a similar sound to Live At Leeds' "Substitute" etc. I think he used Hiwatt valve amps back then, so a bit of distortion might help too.

3. polo3378

polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    Thanks fot the info. I will definitely try it. I will try to let you know as soon as possible how my sound comes through once it is done.
    Take care!