Getting the Funky sound-amps-basses

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkylems, Jun 17, 2001.

1. funkylems

funkylems Guest

Jun 17, 2001
    I was wondering if any on could help me with some choices of basses and (bass amps) especially that would bring out the funky sounds.Besides being loyal to da funk i need to sound good.With amps i mean head and cap not combo. Under $1200 head and cab.
  2. A friend of mine has a Carvin Redeye stack. ( of course :)) You can get just about any sound you want out of that thing.
    Last I heard, Stanley Clark was using it. (well, the biggest one but that would break your $1200 limit) He's pretty funky, no?

Stingrays or Jazz Basses are pretty standard funk equipment. I'd say it's more in your technique than anything. As long as it's a high enough quality instrument that will allow you to play what you feel.
  3. I think Stanley Clark uses EBS amps and cabs.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    He did however stand in front of a Carvin rig at some point;)
  5. That was just for the photo. ;)

Lems, we have separate Basses and Amps forums.

Let's make this one the Amps one (I'll move it there) and feel free to ask for bass suggestions in a separate thread. :)
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There is really no Funk amp. It is more about EQ settings. The last funk band I heard, the bass player was using an Eden Roadrunner, Eden 410XLT and a Lakland. He sounded great. I think Mesa 400s are great amps for a little more round funk tone. (ala Flea, the early years). I slapped til the cows came home when I played Ampeg and was delighted. You just have to set the EQ to match your style and bass.

Can't go wrong with a jazz bass or EBMM. I also recommend the G&L L series stuff for funkifiying your sound.

I own a Carvin R600. You can get a bunch of decent sounds out of it. I wouldn't call it a funk machine.
  7. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    heard of fafner by ebs?