Getting the Funky sound-amps-basses

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkylems, Jun 17, 2001.

1. funkylems

funkylems Guest

Jun 17, 2001
    I was wondering if any on could help me with some choices of basses and (bass amps) especially that would bring out the funky sounds.Besides being loyal to da funk i need to sound good.With amps i mean head and cap not combo. Under $1200 head and cab.
    thanks
    Lems

2. A friend of mine has a Carvin Redeye stack. ( http://www.carvin.com of course :)) You can get just about any sound you want out of that thing.
    Last I heard, Stanley Clark was using it. (well, the biggest one but that would break your $1200 limit) He's pretty funky, no?

Stingrays or Jazz Basses are pretty standard funk equipment. I'd say it's more in your technique than anything. As long as it's a high enough quality instrument that will allow you to play what you feel.

3. I think Stanley Clark uses EBS amps and cabs.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    He did however stand in front of a Carvin rig at some point;)

5. That was just for the photo. ;)

Lems, we have separate Basses and Amps forums.

Let's make this one the Amps one (I'll move it there) and feel free to ask for bass suggestions in a separate thread. :)

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There is really no Funk amp. It is more about EQ settings. The last funk band I heard, the bass player was using an Eden Roadrunner, Eden 410XLT and a Lakland. He sounded great. I think Mesa 400s are great amps for a little more round funk tone. (ala Flea, the early years). I slapped til the cows came home when I played Ampeg and was delighted. You just have to set the EQ to match your style and bass.

Can't go wrong with a jazz bass or EBMM. I also recommend the G&L L series stuff for funkifiying your sound.

I own a Carvin R600. You can get a bunch of decent sounds out of it. I wouldn't call it a funk machine.

7. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    heard of fafner by ebs?