getting the most out of a cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LumpyGravy, Aug 6, 2002.

1. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    O.K. this is for all of you electronic engineers.
    I own a Carvin 4-10 cabinet. It has the Red EYE. It is a 600 watt cabinet @ 8 ohms. My question to the wise is.... How can I make this 8ohm mule into a 4ohm racehorse? I know that I need to diconnect the tweeter. It cannot handle juice. The speakers can individually tolarate 200 watts. I have an amp that can feed 700 watts @ 4ohms.
    The reason why I want more power is so I can carry less to my gigs. I usually lug 2 4- 10 cabs to the gigs. I am running about 850watts max, but since stage presence doesn't need to be that loud, I can utilize a power of 700watts(in case I need a little extra power). Personally I would like to use a 2ohm setup(1000watts per channel), but that is a little too much for the band I play with. If anyone can help lighten my load, I would much appreciate it. THANX!
  2. Erm I know myself and a few others who post here are electronics freaks, but there are many threads like this in Amps. I know cause i've moved them all over there!

3. You can't.

Buy another 8-ohm 4x10 cab. The combined load will be 4 ohms. You'll get far more noise out of more speakers, than you will out of driving half as many speakers harder.

The lower the total impedance load, the harder (and hotter) your amp works. Turn on Bridge mode, and this really puts the stress on your amp. Personally, I would *not* bridge into 4 ohms, because this is the most severe operating mode for your amp.
  4. If it is an 8 ohm 4x10 cab that would mean you have 4 8 ohm speakers. Two pair of speakers are in parrallel and then put in series with each pair, or visa versa (I'm not sure if that explains it properly?) This Gives You Your 8 ohms If you were to put 4 8 ohm speakers in parallel with each other you would get 2 ohm's, but if you can bridge your power amp to your 8 ohm cab, that would probably be recomended. Also It could mean you have 4 32 ohm speakers in parallel, wich would mean your stuck with an 8 ohm cab. You can't wire an 8 ohm cab into a 4 ohm.:(
  5. Oh ya! if you do make it a 2 ohm cab, youd better not bridge into it, unless you absolutly make shure the amp is rated to do so IN BRIDGED MODE! I would never bridge into a 2 ohm even if the amp said in could handle it. It is hard on the amp. My amp says it can handle a 2 ohm load, but it recomends a 4 ohm load for a reason. try just bridging into 8 ohm, and see if that works for ya!
  6. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Thanks for the wisdom. I do have 2 4x10's. I can achieve a fuller sound by running them in Left/right. I just want to get more sound with less lifting.