1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

getting the most out of my 2X10 cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Jul 27, 2020.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    What's the best way to connect my two Avatar B2x10 cabs (to my GK Fusion 550 head) to get the most ...? Umph! out of them? Right now they're connected using 2 speakon cables, one to each side; Is there a better or "prefered" way to connect them to get more flexibility and power/headroom? Thanks.

2. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    It doesn't matter how you plug it in; everything -- amp outputs and speaker inputs -- are all parallel connections. The way you're doing it, with cables between the head and each of the two cabs is optimal for power handling and reliability.

3. Sounds like you're wiring everything correctly. Is there some specific problem you are trying to solve?

One trendy thing a lot of 2x2x10 users are doing these days, is to stack the cabinets end-to-end, so it's a vertical 4x1 column, as opposed to side-by-side in a 2x2 arrangement. You might try doing that as an experiment (if you haven't already).

Lobster11 and jnewmark like this.
  4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    ^ that

IDK those cabs, but if they are built to orient side by side and have side handles, you may need to add feet in order to stack vertically and be stable. Well worth the effort, but just something to be aware of.

5. jza57

jza57 Supporting Member

That is a beautiful setup that I once used for a while. You got them connected correctly , my only advice would be to use an HPF and roll up the bottom end a little bit. That particular GK head has a peak burst rate of over 1000 watts so it would be very easy to blow drivers from the amp pushing out low end that is unusable. Believe me you will get a great sound with an HPF just learn to use it , very basic. Enjoy your rig its a beauty !

6. The cabling will do nothing.
    Stacking them like this will.
    O
    O
    O
    O

7. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Been covered, but stack vertically (won't necessarily add "umph," but should be easier to hear and more consistent off-axis), use an HPF (that'll free up a little "cab headroom" but you still want to be attuned to over-stressing your cabs).

Your approach to EQ, as I'm sure you know, can make a difference. Also, if you encounter problems with mechanical coupling on flex-y/hollow/boomy stages, something like a Gramma Pad might help. (Haven't used one, but am considering picking one up -- might help with practice in my apartment, as well -- dunno! I am usually very volume-conscious when it comes to that, though.)

8. stack vertical
    for all those reasons above, yeah, but also because there's nothing like feelin' it pushing thump into your back

Lobster11 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021