getting the most out of my muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Jan 4, 2006.

1. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Hey guys. I recently purchased an American Big Muff Pi and I'm having trouble getting the tone I want out of it..

I was curious if you guys have any tips for the tone/sustain controls, or any settings that you guys use that seem to work. I'm looking for a Cliff Burton sound, but any good combo works for me..

So should I use alot of sustain? Little sustain? Equal sustain and tone? :help:

2. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    I have a russian one but on mine i'm running it low sustain with the tone a 1 o clock approx to get a little bit of treble
  3. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I have the USA version. My controls are set as follows...

Volume: 12 o'clock

Tone: 10 o'clock

Sustain: 8 o'clock

I get a nice sound with these settings. I find I lose too much low end if I increase the tone knob past 10 o'clock.

4. crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    congratulations on avoiding the obvious answer!
    Muff questions will always raise an eyebrow!
  5. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    That's odd I was just about to tune in my Muff to those settings, and thats exactly where they were at :bassist:

edit: sounds alright.. maybe I'll look into a compresser so things sound a little better?
  6. Volume: 10 o'clock
    Tone: 10 o'clock
    Sustain: 1 o'clock

Running through a Sansamp with scooped mids, it sounds like the devil.
  7. idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Keep in mind my setup works like this:

Warwick Thumb 4 BO - SansAmp RBI > fx loop > Amp

I keep all my fx in the loop set to parallel mode.

Volume: 12 o'clock
    Tone: 2 o'clock
    Sustain: 12 o'clock
  8. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Volume so it is the same volume as my clean signal, and I turn the Gain and Tone all the way counter-clockwise.
  9. Volume is just however loud my signal is at the time to match my bass's.

Tone: I put tone around 9:00, 9:30ish as to keep some of that low-end fuzziness.

Sustain: 10:30 is where i usually have it set, i don't like having the sustain set too high on it, and usually never take it above 1:00.
  10. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I'm a big Burton fan also. I have a Russian muff with the tone and sustain both pointing around Northeast, just where I happen to like it, and it changes from day to day. Not the first thing y'all were probably hoping to hear in this thread, but I just got the Digitech BSW in the mail today, and using the first envelope setting with SENS 6, CONTROL 3, and RANGE 1 gets an extremely convincing Burton-esque distortion. It's actually very inspiring to hear, but that's just me.