Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting the most out of my muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Jan 4, 2006.

1. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Hey guys. I recently purchased an American Big Muff Pi and I'm having trouble getting the tone I want out of it..

I was curious if you guys have any tips for the tone/sustain controls, or any settings that you guys use that seem to work. I'm looking for a Cliff Burton sound, but any good combo works for me..

So should I use alot of sustain? Little sustain? Equal sustain and tone? :help:

Thanks

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I have a russian one but on mine i'm running it low sustain with the tone a 1 o clock approx to get a little bit of treble

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I have the USA version. My controls are set as follows...

Volume: 12 o'clock

Tone: 10 o'clock

Sustain: 8 o'clock

I get a nice sound with these settings. I find I lose too much low end if I increase the tone knob past 10 o'clock.

Graeme

4. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    congratulations on avoiding the obvious answer!
    Muff questions will always raise an eyebrow!

5. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    That's odd I was just about to tune in my Muff to those settings, and thats exactly where they were at :bassist:

edit: sounds alright.. maybe I'll look into a compresser so things sound a little better?

6. Volume: 10 o'clock
    Tone: 10 o'clock
    Sustain: 1 o'clock

Running through a Sansamp with scooped mids, it sounds like the devil.

7. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Keep in mind my setup works like this:

Warwick Thumb 4 BO - SansAmp RBI > fx loop > Amp

I keep all my fx in the loop set to parallel mode.

Volume: 12 o'clock
    Tone: 2 o'clock
    Sustain: 12 o'clock

8. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Volume so it is the same volume as my clean signal, and I turn the Gain and Tone all the way counter-clockwise.

9. Volume is just however loud my signal is at the time to match my bass's.

Tone: I put tone around 9:00, 9:30ish as to keep some of that low-end fuzziness.

Sustain: 10:30 is where i usually have it set, i don't like having the sustain set too high on it, and usually never take it above 1:00.

10. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I'm a big Burton fan also. I have a Russian muff with the tone and sustain both pointing around Northeast, just where I happen to like it, and it changes from day to day. Not the first thing y'all were probably hoping to hear in this thread, but I just got the Digitech BSW in the mail today, and using the first envelope setting with SENS 6, CONTROL 3, and RANGE 1 gets an extremely convincing Burton-esque distortion. It's actually very inspiring to hear, but that's just me.