1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting the most out of my new SCHISM

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dharmashawn, Jan 14, 2012.

1. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Just got this today and I am thrilled!!
    It is really helping me level volumes and keep my sound consistent. But I call on you to help me split sh*t up.

I have:
    Prunes & Custard
    Octamizer
    Xero Dlx
    Robotalk 2
    The Elements
    ParaEq

Kinda digging
    1: P&C > Oct
    2: Xero > Robo
    3: Para > amp

I haven't put The El in yet as I am already confused :confused:
    Do you think I am losing out by not "pushing" my Xero with the P/C or Elements?

2. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I definitely think the Xero needs to be at or near the end of the chain and not in a parallel loop, unless you want a portion of your signal not being filtered, but it seems at odds with what the pedal is designed to do. I don't own a parallel loop but if I had one I would most likely use it for dirt/fuzz effects which can be tricky to control when run in series, I can also see uses with modulation or delay.

Things like octave, filter, tremolo or clean boost don't strike me as very useful in parallel, some of these due to the fact they probably have a clean blend built in, so already operate in "parallel" with the signal you feed it.

3. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    My above kinda reads strange but I am running:

Tuner > Schism > ParaEq
    Loop1: Elements > P&C > Octamizer
    Loop2: Robotalk 2 > Xero

4. IMO you need at least one octave and one filter in one loop and another filter in another loop. Octave and filter sound pretty awesome in parallel to each other. They also sound pretty awesome in series, hence the need to have one filter in each loop. Beyond that I would call it a crapshoot, how distortions interact with filters and octaves is such a personal thing that I wouldn't dare tell you how to do it.

Good luck and have fun.

5. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I'm not familiar the Elements or Robotalk, but I love Octave >P&C>Xero.
    And I also love Oxide>Xero, but Oxide and P&C don't play together too well, so if I was splitting my signal I'd have Oxide and P&C in different loops and feed the blend into the Xero.

6. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Per a recommendation from Behn I got in the habit of running the P/C > Octamizer = Thick and SICK

7. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    Hey dharmashawn

I've got a Schism too (as no doubt you've seen in the pypb threads).

I'm running:

micro Thumpinater (bandwidth optimizer) > Schism > Submarine Designer (eq/boost)

Loop1 (clean channel): Octamizer (octave down) > Timeline (digital delay/phrase sampler)
    Loop2 (dirty channel): Tall Font Russian (muff/distortion) > B3K (overdrive/distortion) > tafm (fuzz/gate) > bottom feeder (quacky envelope filter) > phase 90 (phaser) > micro chorus (chorus) > Bass Mid Control (parametric eq/boost)

phew! so, basically I have a dirty-noise channel (2) and a clean-octave-delay channel.

Having the clean-octave parallel to the dirty-noise makes for some nice lowend accentuation without muddying up the articulation I can get with the B3k and tafm.

Having the clean-delay parallel to the dirty-noise makes for some nice atmospheric echo effects accentuating the heavy muffledness of the TFR too.

Having the TFR and B3K in series make for some ridiculously harmonic overtoned distortion (which I really, really like).

I've tried experimenting with the tafm in the same channel as the delay and octave but keeping those clean effects separate from the dirty sound more articulate and controllable to me.

The chorus, phaser and filter are used as flavors for the dirt, so I don't need/want them with the octave-delay, for now at least. I'm actually getting rid of the chorus and phaser as I don't use them much at all anymore. The filter with the tafm and/or the TFR is just angry space duck awesomeness, so it stays in series with those effects for sure. I use the BMC to boost the lowend lost after I engage the envelope filter; it adds the extra ooomph needed to keep my bass signal sounding like a bass signal. I also use it sparingly to really over accentuate the vroomyness of the TFR.

I'm looking to get an other filter which I'll put in the clean loop... maybe...

Having a clean channel and a dirty channel makes for some nice quick switching between nasty and nice, in-your-face and ambient. I should note this arrangement is a product of almost two years trial and error, buying and selling various effects... and I am no way done. Maybe a bit closer to what I like and need, but certainly not done. ;)

Yeah, I too LOVE the Schism. Its a very useful pedalboard tool. I started out with two channels and a mixer, with basically the same setup. But having the ability to actually switch on and off the two channels and let the uber clean through is a feature I couldn't live without now.

8. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Just did a little tweaking (minus the Meth) and I am gonna rock this for a bit. And of course I have a show tonight, MLK FunkFest at Toads Place, so I better get this together.

Tuner>Schism>Xero>ParaEq
    Loop1 - Elements>Robotalk
    Loops2 - P&C>Octa

Def like the Xero out of the loops and so far dig having the dirt>oct or ELements (for Fuzz) with some Oct on the side.
    Same thing with some quack. I have the Robo in a loop that can be paired up or just push the Xero into its comfort zone.

Thanks for the input guys!!!