Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting the most out of Talkbass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Nov 12, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This is GM's famous "Bass Forum Housecleaning post. I thought it would be nifty to post it again.

-BW

Hello all.

As I checked in this morning and started cleaning some things up in here from the weekend, I realized that there are a few things that we all do that we can avoid major and minor messes in here.

In no particular order, just as I think of them:

:cool:YOU HAVE THE POWER! You can delete your own posts if you accidentally double post. Many times one of us will double post and then add another "Oops" or "Sorry about the double post" post, creating another useless post. Simply click on the "edit post" icon (the one with the little pencil) and select "Delete This Post". Poof! It's gone! Thankyouveramuch.

:cool:Let's not jump on the new guys too much. I do this too, but many times new posters will come in and innocently ask about something that has recently been debated to death here. Merely refer them to the search function or, better yet, give them the link to the appropriate thread.

:cool:Along those lines, new guys: do a search before posting. Most of the basses and models you're asking about have been discussed here already. There's more than one page to this forum, go through all 9 before you post your topic.

:cool: DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS. ENOUGH SAID!

This might be a touchy one, but asking a bunch of guys/girls on the internet which bass is right for YOU is an extreme exercise in futility. I certainly understand asking for recommendations of decent models, etc, but instruments are very personal items, and no one will be able to say for certain which instrument is the best for you. Only you can answer that one. We'll help guide, but you'll have to decide.

:cool: "___________ Sucks!" We all have our own prejudices regarding good and "bad" instruments for whatever reason. But the posts that merely say "Fender/Ibanez/whatever sucks! They're evil" don't really help anyone, and only reflect immaturity on the part of the poster and the site as a whole (to newcomers, especially). If you had a negative experience with a particular model, please give specifics.

:cool: Don't skim posts before responding, don't assume you know what is being asked without reading the actual post and ALL RESPONSES!

:cool:Keep an open mind. I've been proud of the fact that there hasn't been any sort of flame wars here in "Miscellaneous" for quite a while, and let's keep it that way. People are all different and all have their own biases and prejudices when it comes to, well, everything. Remember the golden rule.

:cool:Use the profiles feature. See who you're dealing with before responding. Likewise, keep your profiles updated and full of helpful information.

:cool:Please post to the appropriate forum. "Basses", while having a rather generic name, is quite specific: discussion about basses in regards to makes, models, specifications, and all other aspects of the physical instrument. There are other categories for pickups, technique, players, which may be more appropriate for your question. Try to avoid multi topic threads, if possible. Split them between the appropriate forums. When in doubt, post it in "Miscellaneous" and let Big Wheel deal with it!

Use clear, descriptive thread titles. Titles such as "basses" or "HELP ME!" or "Read This" aren't helpful at all, and only go on to annoy those with slower internet connections who open such threads (if they open them at all). Try to be clear: "Fender MIM Jazz Bridge Problem" is much clearer than even "Fender Jazz".

I'm sure there are a few other things that I'm missing here. Anything else we can do to streamline this forum a bit?
    Thanks
    -GM, (Quoted and respectfully edited by BW)

Will C.:cool:

Ellery, Ductapeman, ESPweasel and 2 others like this.
  2. Well said Will. I can't really add anything except with regard to the '_______Sucks!' rule (and I have been particularly guilty of this with my SWR):

- If you get offended by someone going _______ Sucks! and _____ happens to be your alltime fave bass/amp/pedal/band/player, just leave them to it. Hopefully the immature soul who posted the flamelet will be extuinguished with a barrage of silence. And hopefully learn from the experience...

:)

3. I mean Right on the money! (not in caps)
    Your exactly right about the ______ sucks!

4. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    Very true about the replies to "______ sucks"
    I've been guilty of replying to some of those and agree that it is best for talkbass to ignore the immaturity of them.

5. Forgive my ignorance, but who is GM?

Apart from that I totally agree with everything said, especially the policy for dealing with "______ sucks" threads.

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    gmstudio99, a former moderator of the "Basses" and "Miscellaneous" threads.

Hm, I should update this thing and just take credit for writing it myself...

7. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I think too that people should assume that TalkBass posters are in a casual jovial tone. For some reason cold, hard type looks like the person is being a jerk when in reality they're not. So, first be gentle instead of responding angrily.

Another point to remember is that we each come from entirely different backgrounds, perspectives, and learning curves so stay open minded and respectful.

8. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think it's a good time to bring this old thing back.

And you newbies thought we were meanies! Check the date on this thing!

Man, I miss old gmstudio99. For the newbies, he was the original moderator of - Surprise!- the "Basses" Forum.

9. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I'm guilty of this also, And in hind sight this is also the best way to react.

:oops:

10. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Man,that goes double for me.I think my posts must seem terribly serious,especially since I don't use a lot of potty humor.or smilies.

11. OK, it's pretty obvious we have a mod of the month...

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    WELL BIG WHEEL I DIDNT READ THE WHOLE POST SO I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT BUT I THINK YOU ARE A HUGE JERK!!! I DONT KNOW WHO YOU ARE OR HOW OLD YOU ARE OR ANYTHING AND I DONT CARE. ANOTHER THING, I HATE GIBSON BASSES, THEY SUCK. WHATS THE BEST PICKUPS FOR A MIM FENDER?

Oddly, 47th Street and jamro217 like this.
  13. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California

Lighten up, Francis.

;)

:D

jamro217 likes this.
  14. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    old skool, you forgot to double post and make an other post saying "ah crap."

jamro217 likes this.
  15. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    I was waiting for that....LOL :D

16. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    HA, Ya know I actually tried but the thing wouldnt let me.

jamro217 likes this.
  17. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

i find that the best way to get the most out of this forum is to not disagree.... :(

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's hard to know what you're specifically referring to, but overall, I'm happy with the way things are run here @TB.

NOTE: the following speech is directed at the whole of TB, not just bassheavy or one particular person:

IME, disagreeing is perfectly OK, you just have to know:

1) how to disagree (respectfully!), and

2) when to disagree. Example: I think it's very bad manners for someone to go into a thread on, say, punk music and argue that punk music isn't even music. Even if you're eloquent enough not to say "punk sucks", it's *still* bad manners. Generally speaking, if you have nothing constructive to add to a particular thread (punk, techno, Ibanez, Fieldy, whatever), just ignore it. If it's a duplicate/spam thread or immature or hostile or otherwise violates the TB rules, then the *mods* will deal with it.

Again: maybe you hate someone/thing with a passion, but some people don't, so just respect their opinions and leave 'em alone. Doing otherwise is lighting a cig at the filling station. I don't mean to go on about this, but it is one of my pet peeves.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I disagree.

Munjibunga and 47th Street like this.
  20. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS