1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting the most out of your amp....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iliveinacake, Apr 2, 2006.

1. iliveinacake

iliveinacake

Mar 5, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    So, I have an SVT3 PRO and a 410HLF which sound amazing together, I'm just wondering how to get the best out of them. I guess this question also applies to most people here too.

At the moment, I have both the Hi and Lo boost buttons out as I think they 'cause more hastle than necessary. I use the graphic EQ in a sorta smile shape but always wonder about mids.

Can you get more out of your speakers by boosting the mids? Or what ways would you guys suggest in maximising the power of the 3PRO. Thanks for any help....

2. I dont know a whole lot about this, but i think that boosting the low end uses up more power. But the extra power isn't going to be worth it without SOME low end

3. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Rather than using the smiley-face EQ, many Ampeg SVT3PRO users eventually end up boosting the mids to get the classic Ampeg tone. Experiment with the mid control, the mid frequeny select, and the graphic EQ. Also consider cranking the graphic EQ level fader, and make sure you have the gain pot set so that the clip light is blinking, but not continuously on. You can set an SVT3PRO much further into "clipping" than most amps without causing audible clipping. A 4-ohm load also is essential for getting the most from an SVT3PRO.

I have heard complaints about these amps not being very loud, but if set up correctly, they can produce plenty of volume for virtually all gigs.

4. I have an svt 4 and found the best tone is the mid knob on 3 with the mids turned to 3 o'clock the bright switch on and a reverse smiling eq( you start from the midle and do the smile boosting the mids) that tone is beautyfull and it'll cut through in a live setting like nobodys buisness:bassist: