Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting the rite bass and guitar vol

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Jan 7, 2002.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    When i last had a jam with my mate he drowned me out admitted ly he a 30watt amp and mine is only a crappy 15watt.But would a 30W bass amp be louder or quiter than a 30W guitar amp?

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    No I have found most times you need 2-3 times as much power as the guitar player. Often times more depending the style of music you play.

3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    In my experience, 30 watts isn't loud enough for ANY instrument. 15 watt bass amps just aren't meant to be played in bands, period. I'd recommend a 100 watt amp for a 30 watt guitarist, 150 or more for a 50 watt guitarist, and at least 300 for a guitarist with a 100 watt amp. Then again, you could always tell your guitar player to turn down, but we haven't even gotten started on drummers...

4. Ever heard someone play through a Vox AC30? Evidently not.

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I play in a loud band. I am using the Carvin R600. Even when I bridge it, ( use full 600 watts in a 4 ohm load pushing two 12 inch 400 watt speakers), the guitarist drowns me out with his Peavey 100 watt 2x12. He is maybe at 3 on his volume knob, and I am maxed to clipping:eek:

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    12 inch speaker are almost always going to be more efficient at producing the frequencies a guitar produces, so you could be pushing 5000 watts into the 2 12's and you'd only rip the speakers apart before you got any low end thunder.

Everyone focuses on the watt side of the equation when in reality, the number of speakers you push has a much larger impact on actual volume. The Carvin R600 is capable of being a loud amp as long as you mate it with a loud cab.

7. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    My original set up was the Cyclops. Two eights and a 15. The cab I built with two 12's is much louder and more efficient. I was mostly trying to give an example of watts verses watts, bass verses guitar. It takes a lot of power to reproduce those low frequencies.

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You know you have enough power/volume when the guitarist tells you to turn down. :D

Oh wait, they're always telling the bassist to turn down! :(