Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting the same action out of lower gauge strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ScretHate, Aug 30, 2002.

1. ScretHate

ScretHate

Jun 29, 2002
    Georgia, USA
    I recently changed strings from standard fender strings (its a new bass) to thomastik jr344's and the the strings are much skinnier. Right now the action seems real low and i get a lot of fret buzz. What do I need to do to get it back to my initial action? Thanks.

2. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    A straight edge, and some feeler gauges.

Shoot for .015 " measured at the 7th fret.

You stick the feeler gauges between the straight edge and the fret itself.

You can get this stuff at http://www.stewmac.com

3. ScretHate

ScretHate

Jun 29, 2002
    Georgia, USA
    is there anyway i can do it without buying stuff? I'd like to get it playable tonight.

4. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Go back to your old strings, or tweak the truss rod 1/8th of a turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE and see how that does.

5. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    ?????????????????
    The guys fitted lighter guage strings...less tension...the neck has gone flatter. Wouldn't he have to lessen the effect of the rod and turn counter clockwise to add more relief?
    Cheers.
    PS. pd is correct!:D

6. s'what i thought to...

7. ScretHate

ScretHate

Jun 29, 2002
    Georgia, USA
    Ok i raised my saddles last night. They were way high before i was able to eliminate the buzz. I'm going to take it to the shop today and get it set up properly. Thanks very much for the helpful replies.

8. I stand corrected. :oops: I've also edited the thread to eliminate the confusing information so that others reading won't get the wrong idea.

BTW PD, did you notice the direction of the arrow on the Fender setup page?. That's the first time I've seen a TR diagram illustrated from the fretboard side. Sorta makes talking about clockwise and counterclockwise a difficult thing.

9. ScretHate

ScretHate

Jun 29, 2002
    Georgia, USA
    Well the guy at the music store helped me out. It took a little trial and error but now it plays real well. I also love my new TI strings...

10. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I didn't see that, but it makes sense, as Fender installs the truss rods under the fingerboards now, rather than having the "skunk stripe."

The truss rod nut is actually at the end of the neck at the joint on Fenders, not at the headstock, so in this case it makes sense. :)

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    having taken it to a guitar shop, it may have been taken care of, but bear in mind when you change strings from one brand to the next, or a different guage, your intonation is going to be out as well.

12. ScretHate

ScretHate

Jun 29, 2002
    Georgia, USA
    yeah, the shop guy fixed it up real sweet for me. Intonation is about perfect. :cool: