1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting the Seymour Duncan Steve Harris pickup, bypass tone pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dcalde78, Jun 29, 2014.

1. dcalde78

dcalde78

Apr 17, 2012
    Scotland
    I've just managed to grab myself a set of the SD Steve Harris pickups, after wanting them since I first saw the promo stuff for it on the Duncan Facebook page and their site. I'm a big Steve Harris fan and I love Iron Maiden as well. I'm in a metal band myself and we play original material ranging from bluesier, hard rock kind of stuff to faster, heavier thrash stuff. I primarily use a pick but I do also use my fingers for some of our songs.

I won't be doing any of the wiring myself, as I don't have the knowledge or tools to do it, so it'll be going to the local music shop. What I am considering though, is having the tone pot bypassed and taken out, as I never use it. The only time I do use it is when I'm messing around. I'm pretty sure that Steve Harris also just sets everything at full and leaves it there. I don't consider myself anywhere near his ability or sound though. I do use the volume knob fairly often so it does have some use to me but the tone always just stays at max.

Would there be any significant tonal effects if I were to have the tone pot bypassed? The pickup will be going into a Squier Classic Vibe 60's Precision bass, and I plan to use the stock pots as well. The stock pickup does sound pretty good but anything Steve Harris related, I want to have!

2. Inb4 "Steve Harris pickups won't make you sound like Steve Harris" lol

Interested in replies though.

3. It will sound like having a 500k tone pot on full. If you have a 250k pot, then it will get brighter when the control is removed. If this is not desirable, you can replace the pot with a resistor.

4. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    You might consider a no-load tone pot. When it's at 100%, it takes the tone control out of the circuit completely. That way, you could leave it at full most of the time. but then you'd have a tone control if you ever needed or wanted one.