Getting the smell out.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Max, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I recently bought a bass on EBAY and while the bass is ok, the case literally gagged us coming out of the box with a combination of odors a la tobacco, weed, peote, animal hair, (it was clearly a pet bed at some point) and who knows what else. The case is a crime scene. Jeffrey Dahmer would have been grossed out. I have scrubbed, vacuumed, applied Fabbris (sp?) but it still stinks. To the extent weather permits, I leave it opened outside which helps. When you bring it inside, it regroups and comes alive again with the old odors. It is now clean, but if you approach it to pick it up, well, all I can say is, it's just awful. I should probably dispose of it, but I would face criminal prosecution by the EPA. Any suggestions?
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I would ditch it. Sounds like it is not worth the trouble to me. The same section that you got the bass on ebay has new and used cases, and butt loads of gig bags. You might email the seller, too, as if he represented the case as in any kind of good shape, you might wave a negative feedback in his face.

3. Or you could give it to your drummer, i mean afterall they're used to living in their own excrement. lolol Well thats what i think the smell usually is. So keep it behind the drummer and the band won't know, 'cause it'll be lumped in with the "drummer smell"

4. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey! I drummed for 16 years and never stenched up a place! :D
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

To Max, I once did rehearse regularly in a hot and humid garage and had an honest-to-goodness garage band. Anyway, the dude who owned the garage had several large dogs. They liked to climb in my case until I learned to keep the darned thing closed. Here it is five years later and I STILL SMELL that garage and those dogs when I open the case. It must be the way the smell mingles with the material the case is made of, even to the extent of causing a chemical change in the material. And I know all your tricks like Febreeze and airing out the case do little substantive good. For me, however, when I smell that distinctive odor when I open the case, it does bring back some fond and some bittersweet memories.

jason oldsted
  6. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Make a dog bed out of it.
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you remember those MR.YUK stickers? :D lol really though, that's pretty gross, man...
  8. Well if its only the smell thats the problem, put a Wunderbaum in it, then you dont have to worry about THAT smell anymore, plus you can get smells like new car, vanilla, coconut, forest and so on. That will definately drown the old smell and it wont bother you again ;)
    PS: they do come in more than 30 different smells and colours..

[Edited by Mesa Man on 01-17-2001 at 10:16 AM]
  9. It's true!! It's true!! I can testify!!!