1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting this sound with the LH3 system

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eoinwalsh, Jul 18, 2012.

1. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Hi.

I've been having trouble getting a particular sound on my 5594.

I'm after the slap sound I get from my passive Highway One Jazz Bass when I turn everything up full - that's both pickups on full and the tone knob up full.

I haven't been able to achieve this with the LH3 system yet.

Also, I'm confused about what the "coil selector" does.http://www.lakland.com/tech-docs/lh3-controls.pdf

Is it for switching between coil combinations on the bridge pickup or has it got something to do with the neck pickup aswell?

Thanks

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    That coil select switch only controls the bridge pickup: Basically that big bridge soapbar has two coils which can work together as a single humbucking pu, or individually as a single-coil pu in one of two different locations.

You could almost think of the LH-3 circuit as being a 3 pickup bass: Neck, front bridge coil, and rear bridge coil. The Pan knob adjusts the balance between the neck pu and whatever variant of those bridge coils you've selected via the switch.

3. thehess

thehess

Jun 15, 2011
    One clarification - the MM bridge pup is quad coil. Each if of the 'single' selections on the switch are still hum canceling. The neck pup is also dual coil, so it's hum canceling as well.

Having two 55-02's myself, I'd say that the treble on the LH-3 is polite, so you might be experiencing missing the combination of true single coil, and brighter treble center freq and boost amount than is present on the Lakland setup.

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Ah, I did not know that, thanks.