1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

getting this sound with the LH3 system

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eoinwalsh, Jul 18, 2012.

1. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Hi.

I've been having trouble getting a particular sound on my 5594.

I'm after the slap sound I get from my passive Highway One Jazz Bass when I turn everything up full - that's both pickups on full and the tone knob up full.

I haven't been able to achieve this with the LH3 system yet. The bass seems to have a 'Lakland' slap sound that I keep coming up with every time I try to get this jazz bass slap sound.

Thanks

2. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Anyone?

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I don't have a Lakie anymore, but if I were looking for a passive Jazz sound like you describe I'd start with the preamp set in passive mode (pull the volume up), put the MM pickup selector switch to the front (60's position, sort of) or back (70's position, sort of) rather than the center (both coils), then center the blend knob.

4. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Thanks. Still not working though. Do you know what I mean by 'Lakland" sound? It's a tonal characteristic you get from the G string when slapping. It's very unlike the jazz bass slap sound and sounds very 'modern'.

5. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    With the 35" scale on the 5594 vs. the 34" scale on the Jazz, there may not be much you can do about the tonal difference on the G string.

6. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Oh. Why would a 1 inch difference in scale length affect the tone of a string so much?

7. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Lots of people do not like the way longer scales sound on the higher strings, even when they like the extra clarity on the low B.

On the other hand, FWIW have a look at this (Lakland-produced) comparison between the 34"-scale 4-94 and vintage Jazz, P, and Stingray:

8. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Yeah. That demonstration was one of my main motivations for getting this bass.

But he doesn't say whether his jazz bass comparison is with the Lakland on active or passive.

Furthermore, he doesn't say how much he is changing the settings on his amp when he switches between all these bass sounds.

I seem to have to change my amp settings quite a bit when switching sounds on the Lakland.

9. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Do you have the same strings on both basses?

10. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Not sure.

I don't know what strings the 5594 came with.

My jazz bass has DRs

11. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    You might try changing the mid range frequency with the internal dip switched using the knob tweaks Mike suggested.

12. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I have both a Fender Jazz and a Lakland 55-02 with the LH3 pre. They don't sound anything alike.

13. eoinwalsh

eoinwalsh

Jun 10, 2011
    Thanks. I did this and it did help a bit. I changed it from the default 600Hz to 1100Hz and I could hear a difference.

Changing the dipswitches would still have en effect even if you weren't using any of the mid in your bass eq wouldn't it? It's not like the dipswitch settings are inactive unless you turn up some mid on the knob on the bass, right? I heard a difference and I wasn't using any mid on the bass. Make sense?

Thanks.