Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting this stuff off

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I don't know what to call the "stuff." I finally have a sheet of mylar to put on my fretless fingerboard. My basic tech teacher gave me a sheet. The thing is, this is mylar used for drafting, so one side of it has a white translucent coating for writing on. I took the sheet home and took a knife to the mylar and noticed that this stuff can be scratched off so the sheet is clear. Scratching all of it off would take about 2 days to do and it'd leave marks everywhere, so I'm wondering if there's something I can use to get this coating off. I already tried nail polish remover and paint thinner, both of which did nothing. Any ideas?

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Use sandpaper and be gentle?

3. create a clear area, then use a razor set at an angle to scrape off the coating. work in slow consistent strokes.

They actually make scrapers like this for scraping paint off of windows.

No guarantee there won't be any marks.

What is this mylar for anyway? You're not goin to permanently attach it to the fingerboard, are you?

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm spraying the board with adhesive and laying the mylar on top. It's like an epoxy coat in that it protects the board from damage from roundwound strings, but it's far less labor intensive. A few people here have done it and have good things to say about it.