Getting tired of anti 4/4 snobs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nephilymbass, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. seen several post on FB lately and this is kind of annoying me. Basically people who are supposedly in prog metal bands bashing anything and everything they come across because they hear it in 4/4. Odd thing is I hear the majority of music in 4/4. Even stuff like Meshuggah with polyrhythms I listen along and hear the hi hat or ride constantly holding down 4/4. Meshuggah has even said in interviews all their stuff is in 4/4. I'm a classically trained musician who can read music decently and I'm starting to think that a these folks just don't know what they are talking about. IMO using odd time signatures are great for one main thing. Making sheet music look "pretty" so people can read it easily. When it comes to playing live from memory I'm more concerned with just the tempo and feeling the groove. But back to the time signature thing. A lot of time signatures are actually interchangeable. 6/8 at 50 Bpm sounds identical to 3/4 at 100bpm. Of course they look different on paper but they can sound identical. Another example Instead of switching back and forth between say 4/4 and 6/8 constantly why not stay in 4/4 and count the 6/8 measures as triplets in 4/4? Because that's how I hear that, I hear triplets not time signature changes. There's more to music than quarter notes and eighth notes. and Theres plenty of different tempos.

Seems to me these people only think in quarter notes and 8th notes and absolutely have to play on the down beat of 1 every single measure.

I can write a 5/4 part in 4/4 sure it'll look goofy on paper but if you're not using sheet music at all anyways who cares? Why not just count it in 4/4? Do you absolutely always have to play the downbeat of 1 or every single beat of a measure? Is all this time signature hype a crutch for people who can't groove? With my rock/metal band we never even talk about time signatures. We just establish what tempo we want a song to be at and groove.

Just seems like a goofy reason for people to hate on other people's music

2. Damn straight dude.....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can I get you another drink?

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    4/4 snobbery is a thing? o_O

GregC, Duder, Spectrum and 3 others like this.
  4. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Dude, even 4/4 is just a fancy man's 2/2

Microbass, Duder, KIL0117 and 23 others like this.
  5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I always count in 1/1. Makes things far easier to comprehend when there is only 1 beat to each measure. Then the only thing that has to change is time. :bassist: :D

Duder, KIL0117, Spectrum and 20 others like this.
  6. Lol

7. Evidently... I'm seeing it more and more within music groups on FB in particular.

8. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Fighter/Bomber?:woot:

9. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    May I suggest associating with less obnoxious music groups and FB people?

GregC, Spectrum, Jeff Scott and 20 others like this.
  10. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Facebook. Meh.

11. FakeBass?

physics likes this.
  12. Begs the question then.
    What is the best time signature for Metal? :smug:

Come on guys. It's been 12 hours! :whistle:

Qlanq, J-Bassomatic, wmmj and 3 others like this.
  13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    giphy.gif

Novarocker, Duder, ptg and 11 others like this.
  14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    No, I've never seen anything about it. The fact that a infinitesimal number of people cry about it on Facebook doesn't make it a thing.

There is nothing you can't find someone complaining about if you look hard enough. :D

GregC, MikeMig, J-Bassomatic and 4 others like this.
  15. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Not too dissimilar to the ‘anti four string’ snobbery threads on FB I see frequently.

Do not feed the trolls!

wmmj likes this.
  16. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016

These appear to be very astute observations. The plain truth is, people like to act uppity and knowledgeable, and discussing time signatures on facebook posts accomplishes that.

17. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Yes, I think the implication that a 5 string bass is more complex, or something, is silly. It's not as if you must exhaust all technical potential on a 4 string in order to graduate to a 5 string. A brand new player could buy a 5 string off the rack and be just as sucky as a new player on a 4 string.

wmmj, jfh2112 and RoadRanger like this.
  18. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Never heard of that. But I know many people who can't play anything if it isn't in 4/4

this is interesting to me

19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I consider myself to be reasonably educated and thoughtful and creative. I take pride in seeking out unconventional approaches to things. However, when someone in one of my bands starts talking about something they wrote in 6/8, I can feel the groove leaving the room and I start to glaze over. If I ever hear "5" or "7" (or worse... "9") mentioned in a band space, I am out of there. I'm a rocker, not a jazz professor.

physics and Arizona Jones like this.
  20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    5/4 is cool. That's all I got.

Novarocker, Wisebass, Charlzm and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021