1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting tired of bulky heavy amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by omoxrawr, Oct 3, 2009.

1. omoxrawr

omoxrawr

Mar 23, 2008
    I currently have a pretty big (not huge) set up. I run at Ashdown ABM 900 Evo II through a 410 ashdown cab. Since I usually go direct through my sansamp anyways, I was wondering if there were any cheaper alternatives... I don't want to lose the flare and look of the ashdown, but I want something cheaper because I don't use it to it's full potential... Any recommendations?

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  3. Hi,

I have been there too !!!

I currently use the Carvin BX500 head, and this is a wonderful amp. Very lightweight, and with tons of features on it. Check it out, this is one hidden secret in the bass amps market in my opinion !!! Also, you cannot go wrong with any of the MarkBass line of amps, they are superb and will offer you what you need.

As far as cabinets, the MarkBass line of cabinets is more than excellent.

I also use Sansamp when needed to feed the P.A.

4. omoxrawr

omoxrawr

Mar 23, 2008
    What about Combos? Are there any boutique-ish or high end combos?

5. Dunno about cheaper, but I love my MarkBass - 500 watts, 6 lbs, and I like it's tone and versatility.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    combos are generally more trouble than they're worth. there are some great ones, but they limit you and can be bulky heavy and awkward.

there are a ton of great smaller cabs out there. get yourself one or two 8 ohm cabs by bag end, bergantino, epifani, ea, aguilar, etc, etc, etc. lots of used ones too. you allready have the head, just go try out some other cabs! you may be very surprised.

7. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have never tried the MarkBass. I hear good things about them. I'm very happy with my Shuttle 6.0 and NeoX 212T. The Shuttle fits in my bass gig bag and the 212T is considerably easier to schlep than any 4x10 I've moved due to the weight and less bulky form factor.

With the Shuttle 9.0 release, watch the classified for people dumping their 6.0 heads.

KO