1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting tired of my Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by havik180, Apr 14, 2006.

1. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    I have a gsr200 that I bought 2nd hand as my first bass. I've come pretty far with this bass but it's kinda boring.I can't justify spending $3000 on a bass for a hobby , so I'm lookin in the sub $1000 level (raelisticly $300 - $600). What should I look at ? I don't have a dislike for any brand yet so I think I'm open to all.If you could recommend some and have sound clips I'd love to hear 'em !

I have pretty inexpensive equipment ,gsr200,rumble 100 amp, and peavey micro bass,(maybe thats my problem (?!?) but I just don't get the tone I want. i really like the tone Stefano gets from his bb3000ma ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3723322464517355902&q=jamiroquai&pl=true ) but I'm sure that's mostly due to his playing.

Rich

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

The Ibanez SR50x series is pertty cool, and the 4-strign version is about 500.

The other 500 can go towards a nicer combo amp I think.

3. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    EBMM Sub series may be the ticket for you.

4. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    if you wanna make a huge jump. try a fender jazz bass or p bass.i had the gsr200, then switched to a jazz bass. better tone playing with a pick, or finger. way more playability and a great slap pluck tone...lets just say i love it.

5. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
  6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i didn't spend enough time with one to judge, but i can say that it is a very nice, very affordable bass. the neck is extremely thin and fast. when i made a thread about them before i remember someone saying stuff about the exotic woods they use in them that you can't find in other production basses.

7. aftershock

aftershock

Apr 26, 2005
    +1
    I just bought an Ibanez SRX505 and had it for only 3 weeks and decided to take it back to GC and exchange it for a MIM P-Bass.:hyper: Couldn't be happier!:hyper: I finally have a P-Bass and a Jazz Bass.:D Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

8. I love the Peavey Cirrus 5 strings, and the BXP line of Cirrus' are great instruments at a really good price (they retail at around 600). Very fast neck, with a nice flat profile, and very thin, from fretboard to back. The tone is great, as is the feel. You can't go wrong.

I personally feel you should probably spend your money on a better amp FIRST, then go back and upgrade to a better bass. A good bass will do you no good through a s#!tty amp.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get some used pickups over in our for sale forums, and drop them in the GSR. Then get a mid line Essex bass. Then use the rest of the money (if you have any) to get a better amplifier.

10. Ibanez makes a quality instrument, If you want to move away from Ibanez, I would look at an excellent used MusicMan Stingray, a new MusicMan Stingray Sub, or a G&L. If you want to save some cash and get an excellent bass check out Schecter.

11. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    So far my favorite (realistic) bass is an natural ash bodied MIM Jazz I played at SF GC about 2 mos. ago. They have since sold it but to me it sounded better than Mia's I've played. I haven't been able to find another ash jazz.I've also been lookin at the Yamaha 414 & 614 , any thoughts ?

12. go to a guitar store and try out a bunch of basses and sseee what you like,

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Even though it's just a hobby, a better amp might be nice. $450 gets you a nice Roland Bass Cube 100. Great sounding amp. Sell/trade your other amps and bass to raise some funds.

There are many nice basses in the $500 +/- range - especially used.

14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1...in my opinion! I just bought a G&L SB-2 off ebay to go along with my L-2000 USA and L-2500(tribute)...it's a Jazz/Precision hybrid. Passive electronics. But seriously, you should set a top out price for your budget...then hit the guitar stores in your area and pretty much take every bass off the wall in your budget and try them out. Bring a buddy to help with the switching of basses so you don't have to stand up a bunch of times. I guarantee that you will find the right one!

15. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    If you're looking for a p or jazz get a fender, if you're looking for G&L get a G&L, they don't sound the same. A the man himself also designed them.

16. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Serious? is your bass boring?

I think your playing is boring... spend more time on practicing than looking for basses... if you cant have fun with a 50$ bass then you wont have fun with a 3000$ either... dont blame the bass..

17. +1 for the Schecter - and the Socratic signature! :cool:

18. While I'm sure it was meant to inspire, I don't completely agree with... Suckbird.

If you have a bass, that for one reason or another just doesn't give you the inspiration to play, then by all means go out and look for another one.

When I upgraded from my Squire to my GT4, I made incredible improvements in a short amount of time. When I got my warwick, I did the same. Each time the bass got much more definition, much more variation of tone out of moving the knobs, and much more ability to "sound" like what inspired me to play in the first place.

The closer you get to your goal, the more you will play, the more you will learn.

19. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    If you are prepared to spend a little more than $1000 then have a look at the Warwick Corvette $$ (Double Buck)

But ultimately try before you buy and choose something you like.