1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting Tired of the "What's the Best..." Threads

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Sep 8, 2008.

1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Hey MODS,

Perhaps a new theme could be pulled together:
    Recommendations
    Rock - Guitars, Amps and Pedals
    Church Band gear (there's a lot of them)
    Latin
    Jazz - etc.

Newbies are great, they keep the site going and certainly the graybeards of bass (and you don't have to be old to have mucho experience) have much to offer, but don't ya think there is an organizational approach to getting this (tired) info to them?

Maybe not - your thoughts?:meh:

2. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    As an administrator of another forum, I can tell you that you could put a link like you mention that's 38 point, bright eye bleeding green, bold faced, underlined and blinking on the top of every page and forum, and people will STILL post questions regarding whats in it. I can't count how many times people have asked a question when there's a thread with the SAME QUESTION in the SAME WORDING like 4 or 5 posts from the top.

Some people just don't understand the concept of research, searching, or opening their friggin eyes. It's incredibly irritating, but there's nothing you can do save preventing newly registered members from posting new threads until they hit a certain membership duration or post count. We have moderators on my site who actively close reposted questions like that.

I wish there was a way to stop them from posting threads until they use the search function at least 5 times. Wonder if there's something over on vb.com or vb.org...

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'm sure specific manufacturers, luthier's etc would also pitch in some 'encouragement' for their items to be listed on those lists here on Talkbass.

4. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    It's stupid threads like that, that keep a forum alive and bring in new members to replace the ones who leave. I just link em to the sticky :D

It would be nice if TB had a giant permanent HTML site full of info and such ala studybass.com but bigger and better with ad revenue. Content written by members and moderators from each of the forums and organized onto one easy to navigate sister site.

Hurm I am a web developer...maybe I should start a bass information site.

5. Joel S.

Jul 9, 2008
    It's kinda funny you say this, because you inadvertently confirmed my above point.

What you refer to can be called a Wiki, and there's a link to it in the title bar at the top of the site:
    http://www.talkbass.com/wiki

6. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    ROFL I never noticed that. :bag:

It needs a web 2.0 badge or something :spit:

7. Joel S.

Jul 9, 2008
    lol, yea. You're not the only one who didn't see it, since it seems it's not updated too often, maybe the admins could offer up an incentive to members who actively update it and post articles... few months of premium membership? Or maybe a special usergroup?

8. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I think its just not noticed because of the TB layout...all the nav 13 links and breadcrumbs are across an inch and a half of vertical real estate, and there is a big banner ad that grabs visual attention below it all.

If your not actively looking for it you wont see it. Also I dunno about you guys but I navigate this place from the the central area where the forum links sit and never really use that main navigation cause usually I've scrolled past it.

Not saying the layout is bad, you have to do what you have to do to pay your hosting costs sometimes, but the wiki link is buried IMO.

9. Joel S.

Jul 9, 2008
    Yea, I'm the same in how I navigate the site. Seems the leaderboard to the left could house some of the links so they're more "up front." The banner wouldn't get lost considering the length of your average thread.

I agree 100% about the layout, it's simple and easy to navigate the forums. But the links to the outside stuff like the Wiki and Store are easily lost.