1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

getting tired of "toys"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lee H, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    does anyone else just get tired of things they have, and start looking for a change?

I moved my austin healey out of the attached garage, and over into my shop today, so I would have a little more room to mess with my bike. I still have not installed the new interior or top on the healey (they are in boxes, just not installed). I warmed it up, checked everything out, and wondered why I bothered keeping it. I don't fit in the little thing.
    I have been feeling the same way about a couple of my basses recently. I seem to have quite a collection of things that I don't really want as much as I think I should. I have guitars that I have not played in 6 months, just hanging up on display. I still have my cue sticks and the case from when I used to play tournament billiards, and guns that I have probably not fired 25 rounds through. Some of these things were great toys that I really had to have, and now it seems I am bored with them..

I need to find a way to get my head back on straight, or I will end up selling off really cool stuff, to buy more cool stuff that I will not need, any more than I need the stuff I have now.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    It happens man. I had 14 or 15 basses at one point, and one day I just came to the realization that it was kinda silly for me to have them all. I sold off most of them and now own 4 basses (about to be 3). I know I personally feel better when my life is less cluttered with stuff that I never use.

You could try what I did and sell off everything so that you're less cluttered, buy one really cool thing that you actually need to get that desire to buy something out of your system, and then save everything else for a rainy day.

3. Hi.

You do know what they say:

The chase is usually better than the catch.

Regards
    Sam

PS. YES, I do know how You feel, if only my "toys" would be as few or as small as Yours ;).

4. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    you hit the nail on the head with that one. I have had some really nice cars, but I always remembered my dad wanting a 67 Austin Healey BJ8... So I had to have one too. I do not know why I had to have one, I just did. The problem is that I stand 6' 4", and weigh in the 235 range. I do not fit in the little british cars... So I have spent a ton of money on a restoration for a car I am not really comfortable in. My feet are too large for the pedal compartment. I have a very hard time depressing the clutch without also getting the brake pedal under my boot. It is not easy to get in, and slide my legs under that banjo steering wheel. When I sit in the car, the chrome trim along the top of the windshield is right in my line of vision...
    The car was never really for me, but still I had to have it

5. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    ^^ I am an avid hunter, so that may not be taken in the correct context as originally posted

6. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    I felt this way last year, I had all the musical, shooting/defense, electronic entertainment equipment that I could want in my apartment. Then I started asking myself why do I need all of this? Originally I thought, "I'm just buying stuff now so I can have it when I'm older" (was 22 then), then a month later I said "Hell, by the time I'm older, they'll probably have a helluva lot better and advanced stuff by then". So I sold off over half of my stuff...

I'm now down to 3 personally bought basses (originally from 9, not counting studio junk...)

Two pretty nice amp stacks (originally from buying almost every beater cab or amp my local pawn got in, counted about about 13 cabs at one point...)

One big pedalboard and one small one.

3 guns, originally from collecting well over a dozen (Custom .40 HK handgun, Mossberg 550 shotgun, and a Sig 556 rifle I got myself for Christmas) and quite a knife collection I'm never giving up. Also having ideas about having a sword made :D...

And a 46" Samsung 3D LED and 32" LCD with one huge Sony sound system (all got on the Best Buy Buy Back program a few months back...)

I'm satisfied now, but some stuff I'm definitely keeping for later as it's timeless (most of my guns and other weapons, musical and household equipment, aesthetic and art type items) and they're staying right where they are in storage until I can get my house. Then I can start the process all over again...

7. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    I try to avoid impulse buying and keep my hobbies limited. I prefer having 2-3 hobbies I know well than a dozen I am just casually into.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Desire is the source of suffering.

9. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Had the impulse a few different times in life to clean house and start over. The first time I gave away everything and moved out of the city I lived in. The second time I gave away lots of stuff, but kept a few things. In the past couple years or so I have downsized from a dozen or so basses to only 3, by selling them locally, ebay or here on TB. I will probably sell one of those soon too.
    Simple really is better for me anyway.

10. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
  11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Seriously though, the problem probably isn't your toys but something more akin to hedonistic adaptation. Your brain is seeking novelty; maybe try feeding it some new experiences instead of more stuff.

12. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I used to have like 9 basses, and came to the same conclusion, seeing as how I only ever used one really.

So I sold all but 2.

13. You guys are just too used to excess space, I've been in and out of a few classic racing cars, and I'm bigger than you are :D

14. This is true with any collection of non-essential stuff. I enjoy smoking a pipe occasionally - which means I have collected over 20 various briars that sit on display in a cabinet. When I do have a pipe, it is usually the same one.

I now own 5 watches. Of course I can wear only one at a time, so 4 sit around.

15. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    excessive?...NO... My daily driver is an extended cab F250. It is just about the right size for me.
    and I have done the race car thing..a lot...I had a lot of fun with race cars, when I was younger.
    Probably the two worst, most cramped cars I ever had were a 74 triumph TR7 and a 67 ferrari dino. The seats do not even adjust in the early dinos. They are fixed to the floor of the car. You either find a way to fit in there, or you don't

16. Never been in an F250, but googling them, they look a heck of a lot larger than anything I've ever sat in. So I stick by excessive ;)

Only thing that's ever given me space problems was an original Mini Cooper (and I'm the same height as you, but +50lbs)! Never been in a Dino.

17. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    thinking you must not be in the US... Everyone here has been in a ford super duty at least once...LOL

anyway, here is a pic just to give you a size reference...keep in mind the BJ8 was/is called the "Big Healey" and all BJ8 3000s were 2+2 models...
    my pickup is lifted 3 inches, with oversized tires, so the top it a little under 8 feet high

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I have very few "toys". Soon my life will be empty of everything but what I need. That thread about the 100 thing challenge, that'll be a piece of cake.

19. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    haven't seen the thread about 100 thing challenge, but I am guessing from the context of your post, it is an exercise in minimalism. I just do not do that well.