1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting to know my ampegs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drackean, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Drackean

Drackean

Sep 28, 2009
    First of all, forgive any spelling/grammar mistakes that might pollute my post (I mostly speak french actually).

I'm running an SVT-1000 paired up with 2 SVT-410HEN cabs. My gear is new to me, so I don't know it well and was wondering if anyone out there could help me to understand it better by answering some random questions (which are answered way too "evasively" by my local experts ) :

-Does speakons are "really" essential ?

-One of my cabs (the one that is plugged in the head and chaining to the other) seems noisier than my other (constant "electric sound" at fairly high lvl like "zzzzzzzz"). Is that normal ? What is this sound ?

-The noisier cab will feed at high gain+master volume (like 7-8), causing the "tweeter protecting lamps/light bulbs" within the cab to flash out. It may looks cool, but I easily guess it isn't good at all for it's health.

-If I run my head at 8 ohms (750W) with only one cab (500W), why doesn't it blow up ? Is that dangerous ? The math seems OK if done with SVT-CL (like 250W or something for 500W), but doesn't makes sense at all with my head. I know it has to do with the MOSFET vs Tubes thing, but I just don't get it.

Thank you all for you help. These questions may sound noob, but it seems I never can get satisfying answers.

Cheers

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll take a shot at some ot that. Speakons are *better*, but not necessary. Using one cab is fine, they don't just blow up unless you push them too hard. The noise from one of your cabs, I don't know. Maybe take it in somewhere and have it looked at. Good luck with it, sounds like a huge rig.

3. Drackean

Drackean

Sep 28, 2009
    Thanks for answering at your best.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Is the noise related to the attenuation level on the back of the cab? From my experience, the only time I saw the protection bulb in my 610HLF was when it was being used as a backline and someone turned down the tweeter all the way, and the next band cranked the treble on their amp. A ton of treble being fed into the crossover with the horn completely attenuated means the signal has to go somewhere. Other than that, it may be a bad component in the cab somewhere if only one is making noise.

5. Drackean

Drackean

Sep 28, 2009
    Well that's interesting : the first time I saw light from the cab was when a guy borrowed my kit at my last gig. Probably without knowing he was "overkilling" all over the place, the dude cranked the gain lvl at near max and used an overdrive to boost his sound furthermore. After his show, knowing the light had something to do with the twitters, I dropped the attenuation level on the back of both cabs to protect them from the upcoming basist (everyone asked to borrow my gear that night) : it should at least partially explain why it does that more often now. I'll try to turn it back up at our next jam.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Is the horn working in your "other" cab? Maybe its light bulb just needs replacing and then it would "zzzzzzz" like the other.

Were both cabs lighting up when the other guy was playing your kit?

7. Drackean

Drackean

Sep 28, 2009
    No, only the noisy is flashing as far as I know. It is also the one that is plugged into the head. I didn't try to invert them (maybe the first one gets more power by default ?)

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Shouldn't make a diference but try inverting them. I have a feeling the bulb/fuse in your "other" cab might just need replacing. This would keep its tweeter from functioning and explain why that cab had no bulb flash like the other, and also currently has no tweeter hiss issues. (these light bulbs are inside the cab, are easy to change and can usualy be bought at an automotive parts store for a dollar or 2, take your old one in to match it up)

9. Drackean

Drackean

Sep 28, 2009
    Thanks a lot buddy, I'll just check it out asap and give you a feedback once done.

10. TundraBooking

TundraBooking

Sep 29, 2009
    I was told once:
    "Use speakons in any amp over 700 watts. They sound better and are less noisy."

I have trusted that and never had a problem.