Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting to the gym

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Has become quite a chore these days. I shall win this particular battle however as I've been there before and won! Summer is great motivation. How bout we all motivate one another! Where's Richard Simmons when you need him! Uhh... I take that back.

Did Richard Simmons record that song "When I neeeeed love... I hold out my hand... and I tooouuuch love...."?

2. any chance of changing gym's?

I used to go to a gym that was 30 mins from work, 30 mins from home, it was exactly inbetween home and gym.

I figure, get up, go to work, go to gym, go home.. for whatever reason it didnt work out, and i hated going to the gym.

I changed to gymmin in the city, and total turn around, plus the chicks are alot hotter.. lol

[​IMG]
    YOU CAN DO IT!

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    My gym is a block and a half away from my house, it's packed with Russian girls, and it only costs me $12 a month cuz I scored a killer deal many years ago.

I'm heading out the door now. Light workouts help get me back in the swing of things.

Confession: When I initially got back into good shape (4 years ago) I found xenadrine with ephedra to really be beneficial. I only took a half a capsule before workouts (they recommended 2 capsules which I'm sure would have given me a heart attack) - but it really got my energy up. Tried the newer things without ephedra that they have on the market but they only make me nervous. They don't seem really get my energy where the now illegal stuff used to. I hate the government. Aside from all the big reasons, they make so many fun things illegal.

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Hi Joe

Ideally I'd hit the gym 3 times a week but it's nto often enough to be habitual. I go 6 times a week but have short workouts.

I go first thing when I get up or it doesn't get done.

Morning empty stomach workouts burn more fat

It saves time as I only have to shower once a day (Not that I am oppsoed to personal hygiene; one shower isntead of two means more time to play bass ;) )

I go right from the gym to work and have breakfast at my desk. This means prearing and packing breakfast and lunch the night before but it saves time.... I prepare all my food for the following day the night before. It saves time and I'm less likely to go for a dietary deviation.

Mornign workouts mean I have all day for muscle recovery before playing bass in the evening.

In "101 Bass Tips" author Gary Willis states that you should stick to machines. I don't but I'm not as good a bass player as Gary...but I do find that free wieghts are superior.

5. I just go after my communications class as it's on the way home. We have a very nice rec facility here, but it's not that close to my dorm, so I need motivation. :meh:

6. I went to see Jon Fisch and Jim Breuer last night, And Jon came out with a funny joke that I'll now ruin:

If you go to the gym, pick one where everyone there looks better than you...I made the mistake of going to the YMCA first time, and walked in, looked around, and said to myself "screw this, I look better than all of these people"....I'm done!

7. Do that. I was in shape, took a month+ break when things got busy, got back into it too fast, hurt my knee, can't do jack now.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I know if I had a gym a block and a half away, packed with Russian girls, and $12 a month... why I'd be Rrrrrrrrripped!!! :hyper:

9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    You can't beat that: the locale, teh price the scenery !
    I'm heading out the door now. Light workouts help get me back in the swing of things.

It is I use them too. I find that my body adapts to the effect of ephedra and the fat loss top coming after 2 months. I'll start using it on April 15th and stop June 1st. Just enough to give me the ripped look for summer. My body fat is normally 12-13% off season. I like to go 9-10% for summer for that "ripped" look. Ya know, give the girls a thrill ;)

Do you mean jittery ?

10. I worked out steadily for 5 years until I jacked up my back about 2 years ago and havn't worked out since. Now that my backs better I keep wanting to lift but can't get myself to start.

11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    John - don't know where you live, but here in the US (or at least withing 1000 miles of NY) ephedra is now illegal and has been taken off all the shelves. All the products like Metabolift, Xenadrine, Stackers, etc. now have the label on them that says "New ephedra free formula!", as if there's someone out there who prefers it that way.

12. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Yep, I'm in the same boat. I was going to the gym regularly for a good while, then I stopped going. I have been trying to get myself back into it, but money is tight since I am helping to support my gf who is in school and has no job.

I have noticed that stuff that I used to have no problem with is feeling heavier, and any tone that I had has basically gone bye-bye. :crying:

I hope to get back before May comes around if I can find a way to work it into the budget.

13. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Ohh yeah - and I'm back. Got there. Had a pretty good workout. 20 sets.

Call me nuts, but I don't really like the girls being there. I can't even begin to tell you how unbelivably hot these women here are - it almost makes me want to cry in frustration. I wanna work out - not get frustrated. I actually prefer the all guy gyms but I can't beat this deal. There's a certain comraderie in gyms that are same sex. I'm there for my body, not my social life. Some people are there for other reasons and it's great for them. I don't think there's anything wrong with that either, just not my preference.

14. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Joe; I'm in Canada and Ephedra is legal here. I do recall legislation was being considered in the US after a baseball player died ins pring training...who was using ephedra....

The player reported to spring training overweight . This suggests to me he was sedentary and not eating properly during the off season and was opting for a "quick fix" to get back.

It is too bad the US gov't decided to ban Ephedra as I consider it to be totally safe if used properly.

15. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Fat burners, weights amd aerobics will do you no good if you don't have your diet optimized first. I have been told I'm on a "Low carb" diet. I would say I "right carb" at 55% protein, 20% Carbohydrates and 25% Fats. I'm 40 years old and my waist is 35". It was 34" in high school.

16. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    The way they recommend it's usage I'm really kinda surprised more people didn't die. If I remember correctly the bottle of xenadrine said to take 2 capsules before breakfast. Had I ever done that I'd have lost my mind. If an out of shape, fat, unhealthy old person did that I can't see it not being really harmful. That stuff is powerful and I did a lot of reading on it when I was taking it. It raises blood pressure and does lots of things that can cause people to have heart attacks, but as you said - if taken with caution I think it was really beneficial.

17. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    hey joe, next time your at the gym with the russian girls and your leaving tell em "dobry vecer". they will love it. seriously

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh man, if I DON'T hit the gym, I feel horrible. I broke a rib in a pick-up basketball game two weeks ago, and haven't been able to lift, to run, or do anything. I can barely walk down stairs without discomfort. And, it's going to take longer to heal because I have a physical job.

As far as getting to the gym, I think variety is important. Change up your routine, challenge your body. Push it hard. Also, having a spot can be good. For some, it's motivation to go, you're held accountable. For others, like myself, the gym is private time, meditative, an a partner distracts me.

Some changeups to your routine can be simple. Take for example my bicep routine. I wasn't seeing results out of my pitiful guns, they were like .22s. But I started shocking them about 3 months ago and have gained an inch and a half in those 3 months. Great peak, good division between the two heads, and overall strength. I do 4 exercises, although I started doing 3 at first.

Instead of standing bicep curls done regularly, I dropped the weight down, and do 4 sets of 21s during standing bicep curls. Real real real real real real strict, solid form. Just totally feel the burn. Then, for my last set, I double the weight and do a negative. Cheat the bar up, and then lower it as slowly as possible, (about 30 seconds to lower it is ideal). Doesn't seem like much, but do it in front of a mirror and watch your muscles explode! The rest of my bicep routine stayed pretty much the same, just adding alternating standing dumbbell hammer curls later.

I added 21s and negatives to my triceps later, doing the same thing with pressdowns. Do 4 sets of 21s on pressdowns, than double the weight and do a negative.

With chest I'll change up the order of my exercises every now and then, and if I'm feeling particularly strong on a day, go super heavy, then add some dips at the end to just kill your muscles.

With forearms I started doing supersets. Going straight from one exercise to the next, with no break.

Other things you can do to changeup your workout:

- lower the time between sets.
    - change the way you do sets, from straight sets, ascending or descending pyramid, etc.
    - go to a different gym for a day
    - find the hottest girl you can, and go on the treadmill directly behind hers.
    - flex the muscles you're working in between sets.
    - buy Arnold Schwarzenegger's book "The Modern Guide to Bodybuilding"
    - track your progress and diet at www.fitday.com

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yes, a minor league baseball player in the USA did die from taking ephedra. He also took enough for a horse more than a couple times a day. Good move on your part Joe to be smart about taking it in small doses.

As far as the gym being a social scene....I do not like that either. All of the gym's around here are like that....people hang out, carry their cell phones with them, and seem to be more worried that their Adidas shorts match their Adidas sneakers. The social aspect of the gym is not for me. I prefer to work out alone, but for safetey reasons I lift with a partner.

-Mike

20. And Thousands die from asprin overdoses and reactions.....Don't even get me started on cigerettes!!!!!

The drug companies didn't like that an over the counter product kicked the a$$ out of any perscription weight loss drug!!!!! Plus Ephedra really helped my breathing.

The gym is great!!!! If I don't go 6 days a week I go into a funk. I just started with a trainer for the first time in 20some years. (first guy I ever really respected). He totally changed my workout, very fast pace and I hit every body part 3 times a week instead of once, and upped my caloric intake by almost double (I'm at around 5k clean cals a day now) and I'm getting ripped . the best part is I'm in and out so fast now its great!!!!

Good Luck and watch out for the russian girls :D