Getting to Unconcious Knowing ..?

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by ML94, Sep 3, 2014.

1. ML94

ML94

Sep 11, 2013
    Hey Ant,

Was wondering if there was a specific route to take when wanting to get to this level ? As you said somewhere 'its about something you know so well that you don't think about it and automatically do it'. To achieve this all around the instrument and not just that particular lick that you've worked on is now ingrained in the muscle memory.

To me it seems like the connection between mind and sound. So as soon as I am able to play what is my mind without stopping the music, I'd say it would be safe to say mission complete ?

As mentioned its getting there which is the problem!

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Yea man,...

It's a language.

Like with English, as soon as I have a sentiment to be express I want it to happen unconsciously. I know grammar really well. But I don't want to have to think about the grammar that I know really well. In fact, I want to know it so well that the 'connections' are happening at the speed of thought and sound.

It's not that grammar isn't being used,...

It's just being used in a 'higher', unconscious level.

For me,...

I pretty much can play anything that I hear in my head and in my heart. But the things I hear in my head and heart aren't complicated,...just very powerful. Just like the sentiments I have to express verbally aren't complicated. But they are very powerful and meaningful.

I address my musicianship by making sure that I understand and can address my 'sentiments' physically, visually, sonically, intellectually, emotionally and spiritually.

I study my bass as much as I can. More than most people. Even people who are better than me.

I study music as much as I can. More than most people. Even people who are better than me.

My pursuit in the understanding of music and bass is what led to me being able to understand and play anything that I hear, externally and internally.

It's simple for me,...

I'm constantly trying to know more about the things that I say that I love. It shortens that 'reaction' time between though and sound.

And I've created hundreds of exercises to help shorten that reaction time.

peace,
    anthony

bassup100 and jmac like this.
  3. ML94

ML94

Sep 11, 2013
    Could you share one or two of those exercises that help in achieving the goal of playing from your mind/heart ?

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Hey ML94,

That's why I offer lessons. And I don't want to give away for free what people are willing to pay for.

I'm sure you understand.

peace,
    aw

Cookye and Lichtaffen like this.
  5. Ant has been working "on" me for about 6 months, I think. The transformation scares me, in a wonderful way. I would like to offer a video (if that's OK :) ). I am going to tell you, without a doubt, because of Ant, I know exactly where I am. this song is being sung in Eb minor (Dorian), I know what mode I am in, I know where every single Eb resides on the neck of my instrument, I know every single note in that mode, I know every mode shape that pertains to each note, I know where every note for the entire, relative, major scale resides on my fretboard and here's the kicker, I just know all that, like I know how to speak to another person and the "know" gets stronger every time I play. If you wish, forward to 5:33 (that's my impromptu solo), but the song is a classic. TAKE HIS' LESSONS.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Lawuka likes this.
  6. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Hey, I took a lesson yesterday, and by the end of it two things became very clear - first, I am nowhere near a level of being really good; second, all those individual aspects Ant professes really do have to come together in order to attain some mastery of your instrument.
    Mind you, he does have the exercises to shorten the time of reaching the effortless status (I'd rather liked him using the term "subconscious" instead of "unconscious knowledge" though). And one more thing, knowing which exercises to do does not help as much as having Ant putting you through the paces so that you weed WHY it is important, and HOW to approach doing it.