1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting tone. Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andii Syckz, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    So I've been fooling around and trying to get a decent sound out of my goth series epiphone thunderbird. And i just can't. It seems that no matter what i do, it still sounds like mud.

I'm going to get it rewired to Killswitch-Mster volume-master tone. But for now dialling with the 2 volumes and tone and my small 15 watt marshall combo amp, I must find something.

Here are the marshall controls:
    Modern channel: Volume, Compression
    Vintage channel: Gain, volume
    3 band EQ: bass, mid, treble

Feel free to move this if i'm in the wrong forum.

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    You need a better amp I had an Epi Thunderbird, It wasnt the greatest sounding amp but I wouldnt say it sounded terrible.

3. CORBS

CORBS Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Yeah your amp is terrible. Those basses can sound fantastic through, so I would recommend looking for a used 15" combo with at least 100 watts. That will make your bass sound like a bass. Of course bigger is always better so if you want more power and more speakers then that's only going to help.

Epi thunderbird basses do not have a lot of treble by default, they are a more classic sounding bass so if you are looking for a scooped metal sound with treble like crazy you will want a different bass as well.

4. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    The pickups in the Epi Birds can be great if you have a decent amp. I would say most of your problem is the Marshall. also depends what kind of "tone" you are going for. When I pimped my Epi Tbird, I kep the Epi neck pickup and swapped the bridge for a Lull (mostly for cosmetic reasosn). I thought the neck pup sounded great. One thing I don't like with T-birds is that the tone knob works on both pickups. I re-wred mine so it only rolls off the neck - since I always leave the bridge pickup treble. The blending of bite from the bridge and thump fromt he neck creates a well balanced sound.

5. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    My brother's Goth TBird sounds pretty clean through my Markbass rig. The pickups themselves are pretty nicely voiced and placed to my ears. I don't think a rewire is gonna fix your issue, and if you can't blend or switch the pickups you're gonna get rid of a lot of versatility.