Getting used to a POD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vtbassman, Jun 25, 2005.

1. vtbassman

May 9, 2005
    First post...(sorry it's a bit winded!!!!)

I've been playing an Ampeg SVT 3-PRO through a Ampeg 4x10 classic cabinet for over 5 years now. I LOVE the sound but recently decided to dive into the world of Bass PODxt figuring that's all I would need to bring to gigs.
    I play in a rock cover band and a heavier original band and play live at least a couple times a month. It has been extremely hard for me to get used to the POD.
    The tones are decent (still doing some tweaking), but I feel disconnected from my sound. Almost like there is a microsecond delay between what I am playing and what I hear. I also seem to have a hard time dialing in a perfect tone through the PA where through my amp/cab was great. I am not giving up yet.

Anybody else have an opinion on this??
  2. If you're used to playing through an SVT, or any kind of real rig, you're never going to be happy with the POD. They are really sterile sounding. Have you thought of putting together a small pedal board? You could build it up with effects you'll use and they'll sound better than the digital effects in the POD.
  3. Toonbas

Aug 14, 2005
    Sorry I can not help you with the delay; I am only currently thinking to buy one. But the problem soved??
    I use Alembic Spoiler and play also in rock cover band but am still a bumbo in effects; would you advice me to purchase?
    My major reason to buy L6 is to be able to download ready-to-play settings from artists or songs I want to play. But...I have questions:
    1. Is life really going to be that easy?? In other words do I need to get used with all kind technical terms or is it just clicking the song name and "playtime"??
    2. I hear that downloading complete sounds (patches??) is not possible yet....
    3. Do I have any problems / challenges to expect with my Ampeg combo??
    4. Is for me as starter the XT LIVE having many additionally value aginst the BODxt?? If I only set my sounds in the beginning of a song, why not buying just a BODxt?

I know it; lots of questions for which I excuse myself. ;)
  4. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    i had a Bass PODxt, really wanted to like it, but in the end, it just wasn't for me. I thought it did a lot of things well, though.

If you haven't checked this site out yet, it definitely has plently of POD users to help you out:

Plus Line 6's forums.
  5. Nothing can be done about the delay. The term for it is actually latency. You hear this latency because of the fact that the POD has to send your signal threw an analog to digital converter, then threw all of the Digital signal processing algorythmns and then threw a digital to analog converter. I don't know how much the latency is but it is porblably around 5ms or so.
    As far as the sound diference between cab and PA, the line 6 has settings for this. "Recording" is what you want it set to for PA work and "Live" is for your amp rig. Or at least thats what they figure, but it just sounds like an EQ filter to me.

I'm curious though, assuming that you already had effects that you used with your SVT, so why go Line 6 to model your amp. I think I would have got a decent Pre-amp instead of a digital all-in-wonder. Like that wicked ampeg pre-amp or even a simple sansamp or something :ninja:
  6. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    I think you should try to assemble a small pedalboard, as previously suggested. You won't be able to get the exact sounds you're seeking for whatever you're covering but then again you couldn't do that with the POD because chances are the original player was using pedals and not a POD to get that sound :p. That delay is unforgivable too.
  7. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i havent used it so i dont know how bad the latency really is, but i would suggest holding onto a little longer until you are sure that it is of no use to you. its all well and good for people to suggest getting rid of it in favour of individual pedals, though that concept itself is one that i agree with, but dont simply sell it based on just the advice of a couple of people here.

if you do decide to sell it though, you should still be able to get a fair price for it through local classifiieds of on ebay.

good luck