1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

getting volume above the 12th fret

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Apr 14, 2019 at 3:22 PM.

1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I suspect this is a very dumb question, but I'm sorta at my wit's end: What do I need to do to get volume at the same level on the 15th fret as I get on the 5th? I don't go there a lot, but my current solution, which involves a clean boost stompbox is...awkward. Yeah, I know, "Hit it and quit it" but it's not so easy when you're also singing.

2. I simply hit it harder, stronger attack.

3. I’ve found some basses naturally have an even volume all the way up the neck, and a good amount don’t. When you play the bass unplugged does it do the same thing you describe and lose volume in the upper register? If it sounds even up the neck acoustically, then tweaking your eq to add some high-mids could be the solution.

MattZilla and Bunk McNulty like this.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Fresh strings are the simplest way. The extra zing makes for a good balance.

StyleOverShow likes this.
  5. Yep, EQ might be the culprit here. Having too much bass boosted or your mids cut too much can cause the problem you are describing. Some nice compression can help as well.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 11:32 AM
  6. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Thanks! I'm going to do some EQ tweaking, also have a chat with our sound guy who is always asking me for more bottom.

PS: On my last visit to Gruhn in Nashville I played a Suhr J that had consistent volume in every position. Alas, $2,500 is out of my range.

7. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    LOL! I already play too hard.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. I used to play with too much force a few years ago, & I lacked dynamics because of that.

MattZilla, Bunk McNulty and Mushroo like this.
  9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Are you certain that the audience is hearing those higher notes as having less volume -- e.g., do you have audience recordings to check -- or are you judging strictly based on how it sounds to you on stage? The reason I ask is to raise the possibility that the placement of your amp, relative to where you are standing, could be preventing you from hearing higher frequencies as strongly as lower frequencies. For example, if you're standing directly in front of an amp that's on the floor, you'll hear the (omnidirectional) low frequencies but not so much the mids and highs. Could well be just a matter of EQing or new strings, but I thought I'd throw this out there as another possible explanation worth considering.

Max Bogosity, MattZilla, JRA and 2 others like this.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Is the setup just choking notes out at the high end?

Lobster11 likes this.
  11. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Good point. I do have videos of spots where I go to the 19th fret and the volume is very obviously much lower.

Lobster11 likes this.
  12. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I'm not sure I understand this. Are you talking about action?

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yes, do the strings have enough room to vibrate or is the setup choking the string?

Need Gigs likes this.
  14. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Okay, now I'm sitting here with three bass cases open...unplugged, they all seem about the same in volume. So I'm thinking this probably is an EQ issue.

Fat Freddy likes this.
  15. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Is it the Birdsong that you're having trouble with?....

Just been messing with my Fusion and there are no issues with a drop in volume above the 12th....

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 4:09 PM
  16. my p bass has low volume that far up the neck, but my j bass seems to be much better, so on gigs where I am doing those fancy things up there, I use the J.
    When I am sitting in the pocket, I use the P.

17. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    It happens way up on the neck. Generally I don’t go there unless it is for effect and generally a quieter section of the tune.

Otherwise I hit the Tonehammer Preamp Pedal for a boost. I think you could mess around and find strings that hold volume above the 12th but how often are you going there?

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Are you playing through an amp or through a PA system with separate subs and mids/highs? I expect you're playing through a PA and after you go past the crossover frequency for the subs you're losing volume. Have the soundperson add some EQ boost on those higher notes above the crossover frequency.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  19. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Depends on the venue. Small rooms it's just me running through my rig. Larger ones, rig plus DI. I'm going to have a chat with our sound guy about this.

20. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    As you and I know, there are never any issues with a bass made by Scott Beckwith. :thumbsup:

Fat Freddy likes this.