Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting volume from my Trace...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jumping_Bomb_Angel, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Hi Guys:
    Just bought myself a Trace Elliot Combo, 300w 15 inch SMC.

Problem is, I cant get a lot of volume out of the darned thing without setting both input and output settings to 9!

I use a litle bit of compression too, just a couple of nicks off zero.

Sounds great at low volume but I get drowned out, and i cant seem to get the volume I need when gigging [Church Worship team] ...surely 300watts and a 15'' should be plenty?

Thoughts and/or advice please.

2. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    What's your EQ setting? By turning down mids you cut your perceived volume and you don't cut through the mix. If you're cutting them maybe you could try leaving it flat. I've heard that some people (in a pinch) turn all the controls to 10 to get the max from their amp.

Otherwise, is your amp really putting out 300 watts or is that the max power if you add an extension cab?

If none of the above is going on then it could just be that your group is too loud for your amp. 300 watts has never been close to enough for me in any of my playing situations and I honestly don't know how people get by with that little power unless they're doing coffee house gigs.

3. Thank you Sir - ill just have to play round with it I think..

4. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Scrojak,

I play through a Trace rig in church too. It is also 300W but I have two 8 ohm cabs, a 2x10 and a 1x15. Two 8 ohm cabs means I can make use of the full 300W at 4 ohms. But even with one 8 ohm cab, it is pretty loud. My PA crew often ask me to tone down. As someone has mentioned, perhaps it is down to EQ. Increase your mids a bit.

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Going for the Fieldy sound I see. ;) :D