1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting your name out there

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by gregelka, Apr 28, 2006.

1. gregelka

gregelka

Apr 25, 2006
    Topeka, KS
    Any suggestions on the best way to get your band's name out there? What have you guys done to get your music heard?

2. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Be promoting all the time. No idea is too farfetched, really. From stickers all over town to billboards to tv commercials to ads in your local newspaper. Heck, Harry Houdini hired guys to walk around together with one letter of his name on each guy.

If people see your name all the time, they will begin to believe that they've seen YOU all over the place as well. With my last band, I was involved in a local music internet forum, plugging my band every opportunity I had. When our first bar gig came up, I had three or four people say things like "yeah, I think I saw you guys a couple of years ago at (insert bar name, where we never played). You guys rock" and "dude, I remember a friend of mine let me listen to your album (we never recorded anything), and it was awesome!"

You can't buy name recognition. Just get out there and do it.

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Freakin Myspace. Myspace is a big, evil conglomerate, but it's the most efficient marketing tool EVER.

4. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Except that everyone and their dog is on there (seriously).

Yes, you need a Myspace, just like you should probably pick up a purevolume.com site, but it's getting overplayed. I haven't had any consistent success from Myspace, aside from finding a gifted young photographer who has agreed to take some free shots for us.

Don't rely on it. You still need the good old fashioned method - feet meet pavement.

5. gregelka

gregelka

Apr 25, 2006
    Topeka, KS
    thanks guys! lots of good info and suggestions

6. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    TalkBass Forums > Bass Guitar Forums > Bass Guitar General Forums > Band Management and Performance [BG]
    how do YOU get gigs?