GEWA Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ctcruiser, Feb 25, 2006.

1. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    While here in Zurich on a business trip, I found a musical instrument store that had 2 double basses. Both had a label that said GEWA. I had never heard of that name before.

They were asking for 2,500 CHF and 3,500 CHF for these basses at the shop. They appeared to be plywood with no purfling, just painted lines. They sounded OK, nothing great though for the price they were asking. Although, everything in Zurich is very expensive.
  2. hofner

Dec 7, 2003
    Gewa is a big "dealer" (don't know the word in english, sorry) for strings and orchestra instruments,parts, strings ,etc.
    "gewa" basses are quite good usually, i owned one for two years, but they come from China as i understood. More precisely, the wood come from Asia, and the instruments are assembled in germany... Mine, a plywood, was in the 1000 euros range of prices, but needed a serious setup : soundpost and bridge were crappy and fingerboard was dyed with a poor black varnish which used to stay on my fingers !
    they're two Gewa basses for sale in my town, from 1200 euros to 3000 for the carved one...
    my two cents...