Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GeWa basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassGuyNL, May 21, 2003.

1. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Yesterday, I bought a GeWa plywood bass. Looked like solid construction, nice ebony board, etc. Played and sounded fairly good, and I expect it will improve after some work by a luthier.
    I heard that GeWa now only imports basses from China and puts their label on them. This one is from '97, and apparently a few years ago the Gewa basses were made in Rumania. These instruments are supposed to be a lot better. Does anyone know the details? Until what year were they made in Rumania?

2. I played a GeWa basses last week in a shop in Amsterdam. They had a solid one wich had a label, made in Germany.
    Where did you buy your bass?

3. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    hmm...maybe it´s one of this tricks and the only thing made in germany ist the label...and maybe the money...

gruesze sebastian

4. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Here's how I bought it: a guy came up during one of our street gigs, he obviously played bass himself and we talked a little about basses, pickups etc. Then he said he had this plywood bass for sale and lived just a block away. I eventually paid 825 Euros for it, a little more than I had planned. It's now in the shop of luthier Rene Zaal, who immediately identified the the bass as Rumanian. I'll tell you in a few weeks how it plays after a proper setup job.

5. I'm asking this while I'm orienting for a new/used DB and I'm also in the Netherlands. Can you recommend Rene Zaal? Do you now more DB stores/luthiers in the Netherlands?

6. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Rene Zaal is a good choice, since he builds and repairs only double basses, unlike your average village violin maker. His shop is in Bemmel, near Nijmegen. His number is +31-481-466082. Beware that the stuff in his shop is quite expensive (but worth every penny). I bought my main bass from him at 2500 Euros, which is in the lower price bracket of what he sells. Also, the "Atelier voor Contrabas", owned by Lucas Schuringar in Amsterdam is good. I bought my other bass from him, which, by the way, is for sale! It's Hungarian, about 50 years old, Plywood back but otherwise solid wood, good ebony board. Sells for 1500 Euros. The reason I'm selling it is that we play in France every year at the seaside and I wanted a more sturdy instrument that will survive the often moist and salty atmosphere. That's why I got the GeWa.