1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GFS / Grizzly bridge intonation?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tristan, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    So I ordered one out these for a parts bass.

It has arrived, and while the construction is good, the design seems horrible.

There is a little hex screw that holes the saddle in intonation... the thing is, it will be covered by the string, and i'll have to loosen the string, to get at the screw, move the saddle (hoping i moved it to the right place) retighten and then tune the string up again. Seems like a pain so I am not sure I want to install.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

No, that about sums it up. Fun, right?

3. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's ridiculous. Have you used one, 96t?

Oh well, time to get a Gotoh I guess...

Thanks for reply
    Tristan

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I bought a set of four individual bridge pieces, same saddle setup. I hated the setup for the same reasons you do; PIA to set up. I ended up using this:VERY NICE DIECAST BASS GUITAR BRIDGE precise action adj | eBay
    It's a nice piece, cast zinc, good price. That seller also has a lock down version, same as on the Carvin website:CHROME DIECAST BASS GUITAR BRIDGE THROUGH BODY OR TOP | eBay

I have seen both used on boutique basses online. One warning, the zinc saddles may have burrs on the height adjustment screw holes. Mine jammed and it was a PIA to get it out. So It's good practice to run a tap through a few times to clean the threads up. Metric is required.

5. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Cool thanks for the heads up.

I'll probably just get the Gotoh off stewmac... its about $24 and tried and true.

I'm amazed that someone bother making a new bridge design inherently worse than the most basic bridges around... ah well.

6. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    I've used some bridges like that. One from a Spector performance series bass and then those individual string bridges from bestbassgear.com

With both the set screw to lock the saddle was at an angle clear of the string and I was able to unlock it without loosening the string. Trouble is that even once it's unlocked it's pretty hard to move when it's under thirty pounds of tension.

Now I play a Hofner. I must be some kind of glutton for punishment.

7. I don't see what the big deal is. You have to loosen the strings a lot before you move the saddles on ANY bridge. With this one, you have to loosen them a bit more and remove from the bridge. So what? It's not like you have to do it once a week.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

What? Never have I ever loosened to intonate. Move saddle, tune, check 12th. To each his own.

9. It's typically difficult to move a saddle when it's under full tension. So I loosen my strings first. To each his own.

10. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Right. But if you don't, you're subject to a handful of things that can bite you. Depends on a number of factors. Like hanging up on a string winding somewhere in the bridge Or if it's one of the traditional Fenders, sometimes the bolt does not go flush with the back of the plate.
    So it's intontated until something pops.
    I'd always recommend loosening if you want to be certain it's one and done.

11. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yeah, I was thinking I *MIGHT* be able to get at the screw without moving the string, but even then, theres something to be said for having the saddle move according to the direction of the screw turn. You know, like how the REVOLUTIONARY fender bridge worked LOL ;)

Having to manually push the saddle to where you want seems like a big, inaccurate step backwards imho

12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yeah, oops too far, begin again.

13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    they actually work just fine; i loosen that screw (which is, yes, at an angle so it clears the string), then gently tap the saddle forward or back with a small hammer hitting a big screwdriver or whatever (wooden dowel if you're paranoid about scratching anything), re-tighten, re-tune and check.

14. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks everybody for the replies.

I could probably make this work, but my final decision is to trick this puppy out with high tech 1960s style Turn n' Tune technology.

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I just keep the screw loose, tune, check intonation, detune, move the saddle, repeat.

It's really not much different than the usual setup technique. But to each his own. I like the way they look, and since intonation adjustment is uncommon, I can deal with the added bridge adjustment step.