1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GFS Lightweight Bass Bodies

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stev187, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
  2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Beautiful bass.

From you experience, just curious if this:

means that the stock routing will accept a bridge pickup in the bridge position or does it fit two neck pickups? Also, have you compared the body against a Fender? If so, how close is the shape and are the contours deep or blocky?

3. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    What I dropped in there was the standard EMG J-Set. Went in fine; not sure about others. The contours are not identical to Fender; it would be hard for me to measure. The shape seems dead on. The "belly cut" seems a little different, and the lower bout seems a bit blocky. None of this has bothered me; for $80 and all the saved weight, I just love it. None of my basses seemed heavy to me until I got one that weighed 7 lbs.

--Steve

4. allotabass

allotabass Guest

Jan 30, 2016
    I just came across this thread because I was also looking at those bodies and I just picked up one for $50.
    I know what I'm getting into so I won't be surprised. From product description....."figured paulowina wood".....really? On a solid color?

To address the pickup size issue. Looks to me like the op just switched the neck snd bridge pickups around. Anyone, including me, will have to do this.
    Still, it'll be just another beater useing up all my spare parts. More interested in the weight than quality.

5. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Is paulownia the same as empress wood? If so, I have a G&L with the same body wood, and I love it. Would be interested in one of these bodies for building a backup.

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    How does the bass balance? I like a lightweight bass, but loathe neck divers. Hipshot lightweight tuners?

sissy kathy likes this.
  7. allotabass

allotabass Guest

Jan 30, 2016
    Well heres the latest from my new build.
    I just got the body today. Packed well but has lots of handing marks. New, but far from mint. Guitar Fetish is 1.5 hours from my house so it didn't spend lots of time in transit. It just looks like it's been sitting on the shelf for a year.
    The red is dark some where around Fender's dakota red which is what I wanted. It's an even finish but around the edges are thin coated and you can see the thin undercoat. The finish itself is thin. If your looking for an instant relic, this will work if you play alot.
    The edge radius, belly contour and forearm are typical import style. Not Fender...obviously. Sharp & shallow. The cavity route is typical but clean.
    I use Allparts JB necks. I had to remove all the neck pocket paint on the side walls plus a little wood for a tight fit. Better this way than a loose fit. Neck bolt screw hole are small diameter.
    Weight wise is scary. It weighs about 1.5lbs. Serioulsy. When it's done it'll neck dive like a mofo. Overall, it'll weigh in under 5lbs.

The bridge pickup route fits USA & Mexican pickups. At first I was hesitant, but it's all good. I don't have all the parts handy to complete it but I will soon. No need for pics. It's just another cheap import build.

Would I buy it again? For $50 it's not bad. I bought it to chew-up my excess parts. I know it's not a Sadowski but its half the cost and weight of a Squire, it's kinda worth it.
    I give it an A+ for value and weight but a D for quality, fit and finish.

8. allotabass

allotabass Guest

Jan 30, 2016
    Oh, the bridge holes are present and there's no bridge ground hole. You will need to accommodate these point.
    Hipshots will help with neck dive. My neck already had Kluson styles from a previous build so I kept them.
    Empress weight wise will seem like freshly cut Bubinga compared to this body. Tone wise, i can not comment. I hever believed that tte body has anything to do with tone.

I have 14 other Jazz Basses so I know what I'm talking about.

9. One of the first basses I built was one of their 'kits' but I upgraded the tuners and pickups and the screws as I have had trouble with Chinese screws in the past on non-instrument projects.

I found the wood lighter than I could imagine - and it was one that I had to finish myself, so any nicks or scratches were soon filled and sanded out.

HINT: from my old balsa wood working days, mix a few spoons-full of talcum powder into clear lacquer and brush it on as a sealer/filler. The talc makes a fast cut when you sand it and it also fills any gouges and scratches - in minor shallow irregularities of course! This "Indonesian Poplar Wood' is quite porous, so any help in filling the voids between the cell walls will help.

But yeah - my P-style GFS bass is 5.125 lbs, and I don't mind any headdive at all when it doesn't overall generally bite me in the shoulder after a couple of marathon hours at a county fair in the sun. I cannot imagine how big boobed girls with 1/2" straps can stand it all day long!

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The original J bass didn't have a ground wire hole under the bridge either. Instead there was a thin strip of brass soldered to the bridge pickup plate which then extended out of the pickup cavity, bent to reach over the top of the body and clamped under the bridge.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017