1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GGG Shin Ei Companion clone.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PunkRocker33133, Mar 22, 2009.

1. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Will it get the tone from Radiohead's Exit Music? Is it any good?

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I've built one using the GGG PCB but I hunted down my own parts here is a thread about it.

It is a very cool fuzz and keeps lows great, no Idea of the Radio Head song I don't listen to them, post me a link and I'll tell you if it will do the sound.

3. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
  4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I can get in the ball park, but without his bass, amp, strings..............
    Plus I am using different transistors then what the kit or original used, mine is "chunkier" then the recording [with any of my basses] rather then buzzsaw. Also a lot of guitarist builders say a booster in front of this fuzz does cool things.

5. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I was thinking about trying that and building some form of simple boost anyway, so maybe that will work. Also if you don't mind me asking what transistors are you using?

6. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I've built two of them, I think they sound good, I really like the newer version with the boost built in (it's after the fuzz). The older one I built didn't really have enough volume to be useful live, but this one has plenty of range.

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I used a 2N4401 and a 2N3904, I don't remember the order and I rapped the board in tape for shielding.

The one I built has no need of a after boost, it is very loud.