Ghetto rigs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I've since moved on to better things, but I thought I'd share the most ghetto rig there ever was with you guys.

The problem was this- there was me and a guitarist. We liked to practise in our bedroom (it was my step bro), and we liked to practise pretty loud. We both had mics, with XLR-1/4" cables.

Here's what we had to work with

Fender Princeton 65 guitar amp
    Crate BX-25 bass amp
    Peavey Rage 158 guitar amp (15 watts)
    2 hifi speakers, with 10's as the woofers
    2 veratron mini hifi speakers, with 5's as the woofers
    Radioshack 4 channel line mixer

I was 12 at the time, he was 14. We were naive to say the least, but also creative.

We plugged the 2 mics and my bass directly into the mixer. The guitar was plugged into a Tubescreamer pedal (the only decent piece of gear we had). That was plugged into the mixer.

The left output of the mixer was plugged into the Princeton 65. We went around the back of that thing, and connected the speaker wire from the hifi speakers to the speaker terminals on the Fender (we didn't know jack about resistance back then... either that or we didn't care). This was set to be fullrange.

The right output of the mixer was sent to the peavey rage. We did the same speaker terminal thing as on the Fender, but this time with the Veratron mini hifi speakers. We set this one up to roll off most of the bass.

From the effects send of the Princeton, we had a cable running to the input of the BX-25. We cut all of the highs and some high mids from this, boosted the low mids, and the bass was flat.

We set it up so that the Crate, Fender, and Peavey were behind us in a stack. The hifis were behind us in the corners of the room, and the mini hifis were in front of us.

For being as horrible as it was, the sum of the parts was pretty good. It didn't sound great, but was a good solution for us.

Just thought I'd share that here. If anyone can top that, let me know ;)
  2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    well, i dunno if i could top it, but i could compare to it.

My band didn't have a PA. we couldn't afford one and we needed one really really bad. we were singing out of a 20 W bass amp... that wasn't ours. the kid whos' amp it was took it, so then we had nothing. we were like "f*ck, what are we supposed to do now?" so we did what we always do-we walk to a local cornerstore whenever we're stumped, and something good always happens. turns out we found a stereo reciever (like for a component system). we brought it home, and everything powered up, but we didn't get any sound. we opened it up, and there was a blown fuse. we replaced the fuse, and it worked. we grabbed two speakers (just regular stereo speakers, no PA or anything) and hooked up a mic to the reciever. that worked for a little bit, but then we bought an 8 channel cheap mixer, plugged it into the stereo (on the CD channel) and bam-best sounding PA i've ever heard! it cost us a total of $80. it gets damn loud, too.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Sunn Sceptre for $125. circa 1965 pair of 1x12+1x8 HiFi speakers for $0 (hand me downs from father in 88 or 89 or so.

:bassist: sounds killer
  4. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    aahhhh, speddling, the sight of that rig makes me wanna load the bong and play some 13th Floor Elevators!

5. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    They had that same head at the local music store here, refurbished for $399, plus who knows for the matching 4x10 cab, maybe thats for both, I'm not sure, I'll check it out, would you say it would be worth it to pick it up?
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    the Sunn Head? They made a whole bunch that look like mine. from 2 to 6 power tubes of most flavores. Mine is a guitar head with reverb and vibrato... but it's a straight forward pre amp section that is voiced well for bass. Actually the 'mid boost' switch on mine KILLS! I use a strong mid tone and dig the switch!

:ninja: My strat sings thru it too :bassist:
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Groovy Man!

Neck pickup soloed on the Benavente with a heavy pick and I'm Right there in Pompeii sitting in for Roger :cool:
  8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Well, for metal the ultimate ghetto rig is a RAT. Plug it into any backline at whatever club or anybody's borrowed rig and it still sounds like RAT. I speak from experience, but it's not just me - check out any Danny Lilker live performance. I even used it straight into the board in the studio and recorded an EP that way!!!